Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arch linux dual boot

Beans

Arch linux dual boot

I am curious about dipping my toes into arch linux and was wondering if a dual boot with a computer already running ubuntu would be possible, and if so how I would go about doing this.
    Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Arch linux dual boot

That's not a problem. Grub will be able to boot into arch and Ubuntu. Some common options include
    (1) Installing arch, then installing grub onto your current hard drive's master boot record and auto-detecting your ubuntu install via the os-prober package (Check out https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2
    (2) Installing arch, then installing grub on the arch partition and running "sudo update-grub" in ubuntu

I recommend you check out the beginner's guide on the archwiki and using Gparted before you boot into arch's install environment, as the command line partitioning tools can be a bit intimidating. Good luck!

Beans

Thanks, Im stoked this works...
    Also if I have a 750gb hard drive, how much would you recommend I partion arch to be?
    And one last question because I dont know much about dual boot, would I be able to access my files (like music and docs saved in my home folder) in arch, or are they completely separated?

Beans

Arch can run perfectly fine on a partition as little as 8 or 10GB pretty easily. But if you have the space to space, use a 40GB partition or more for Arch, which will give you plenty of room to add however many apps you want, however many desktop environments you want, run Virtual Machines, etc.

I'm currently running Arch as more of a toy on a 15GB partition myself (Kubuntu is my primary, Bodhi is my secondary)
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by f1ndingwalden View Post
    I am curious about dipping my toes into arch linux and was wondering if a dual boot with a computer already running ubuntu would be possible, and if so how I would go about doing this.
    Thanks!
    Just don't install the bootloader GRUB when you install Arch. I dual boot with Arch and I don't.

Just update-grub from ubuntu after installing Arch and remember to mount the Arch partition before you run update-grub in Ubuntu.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Would any of this be possible after ubuntu is already installed? On gparted it says I have to unmount the current partion, but wont that prevent me from using the computer?
    Sorry if this sounds dumb, this is my first experience with partioning.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You're best off partitioning from the LiveCD. That way all partitions can be unmounted. If you're looking for resize partitions, they need to be unmounted. Also, say if you want to manipulate sda5, all partitions with lower numbers than that need to be unmounted.

You can't resize the / partition which Ubuntu is installed on while it is mounted, as you have discovered.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Just don't install the bootloader GRUB when you install Arch. I dual boot with Arch and I don't.

Just update-grub from ubuntu after installing Arch and remember to mount the Arch partition before you run update-grub in Ubuntu.
    I remember installing grub on my Arch, but I installed it to the same partition as my Arch install, and not to the MBR.

I do this with every Linux because I dual-boot with Windows 7 and prefer to use the Windows Bootloader. And then I use EasyBCD to add the entries for each Linux that I'm running. It's worked for me every time, and has worked for Arch.
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

I actually prefer syslinux over grub, but I'd second fantab's advice. All you need is some free space to put Arch in; you don't need to install a second bootloader.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by f1ndingwalden View Post
    And one last question because I dont know much about dual boot, would I be able to access my files (like music and docs saved in my home folder) in arch, or are they completely separated?
    Yes, you can access your files in ubuntu home folder ("directory") /home/YOUR_USER_NAME from arch, if you correctly mount the ubuntu parttiion from arch.
    Code:
    man mount
    As for the place to which grub should be installed, read http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post11975894 No.1).
    I suggest you installing grub2 or grub legacy to the PBR of the / (root) or /boot partition of each linux distribution, ubuntu and arch, and installing chainloader to the MBR, although I prefer my tool.
    Last edited by kiyop; January 14th, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
    OpenBox: Debian Wheezy, Sid, Snowlinux, Aptosid, Siduction, Crunchbang, Ubuntu, Mint, ZorinOS, OS4, Arch, Manjaro, Mageia, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Slackware, Win XP/7
    http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast