Thread: HDD swap of Ubuntu Instalation 12.10x64

Beans

HDD swap of Ubuntu Instalation 12.10x64

Two (more) challenges I have pit myself against (last one has nearly beat me ..)

Summary : My first intention was to run Ubuntu as a server and have since set it up on old hardware . However since using Ubuntu, I decided I want to keep it for desktop use as-well , while keeping server features . Though as I'm using old hardware , I am wanting to tinker ( see below)

1st Hurdle : So to achieve this, could I simply take the HDD from the excising 'old' hardware/rig into my High-End Windows rig ? Hypothetically I would like to dual boot and use Linux and windows 50:50 but wait , there added features I'd like .

2nd Hurdle : Assuming a dual boot feature would work,even with a new install(If I must) , could I use Virtual software while using window to Boot the Ubuntu 12.10 Installation ? This would save time re-booting and loading back into Ubuntu

Am I asking too much , would this be difficult , would I need a fresh Install of Ubuntu , would the virtual desktop load the excising Ubuntu installation ?

Please comment
    Last edited by 90Ninety; January 9th, 2013 at 11:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HDD swap of Ubuntu Instalation 12.10x64

Quote Originally Posted by 90Ninety View Post
    Two (more) challenges I have pit myself against (last one has nearly beat me ..)

Summary : My first intention was to run Ubuntu as a server and have since set it up on old hardware . However since using Ubuntu, I decided I want to keep it for desktop use as-well , while keeping server features . Though as I'm using old hardware , I am wanting to tinker ( see below)

1st Hurdle : So to achieve this, could I simply take the HDD from the excising 'old' hardware/rig into my High-End Windows rig ? Hypothetically I would like to dual boot and use Linux and windows 50:50 but wait , there added features I'd like .

2nd Hurdle : Assuming a dual boot feature would work,even with a new install(If I must) , could I use Virtual software while using window to Boot the Ubuntu 12.10 Installation ? This would save time re-booting and loading back into Ubuntu

Am I asking too much , would this be difficult , would I need a fresh Install of Ubuntu , would the virtual desktop load the excising Ubuntu installation ?

Please comment
    This can all be achieved with a little know how.

Putting multiple HDDs inside a single PC works. Just run boot-repair after you get them installed. I'd recommend that the Linux HDD be added second, to avoid screwing the Windows install.

Or

You could create a similar-sized partition on the 1st disk in the Windows PC and use something like dd to mirror all the contents from the 2nd disk over.

It is possible to run (windows or linux) under either (windows or linux) virtualization servers. Both work well provided you are smart with the virtual hardware that each client OS is provided. However, it generally is NOT possible to use the same windows or Linux installation for both hardware and virtual installations. I don't know anyone that has that working.

If you are interested in virtualization and you have enough RAM, CPU, and disk, this is a great way. It works best with Core2Duo or better CPUs - basically, you want a CPU with vt-x support.

When you virtualize an OS, it doesn't see any of your real hardware, only the virtual hardware that the hypervisor shows. That means your high-end GPU doesn't matter to the VM at all. Same for any physical audio cards and disk controllers - it doesn't matter to the virtual machines - those will only see virtual devices.

Check out virtualbox for beginning-level virtualization, though I would not recommend it for servers. It is pretty great for desktop on desktop virtualization.

Beans

Have ran into a few hurdles ( maybe I shouldn't tinker so much )

I put my 1.5 TB HDD (with working Linux 12.10x64 installation) from my low range rig to my High range Rig . Now I have a HD7770 and Phenom x2 3.0 Ghz , so should be much better (in theory)
    However the OS seems unstable , I keep getting black screens and my monitor cannot handle the signal from the GPU

I will try a DVI/VGA cable instead of the HDMI to see if this is a solution

This issue is intermittent however when the OS does work , some programs fail to launch ( Steam for example )

Also tried Shank , which in theory should work , however it looks horrible and runs dog slow

Any suggestions , I believe it to be driver issues

New Rig
    Phenom x2 2.8 BE
    Asus Mobo
    8 Gig Corsair Ram

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 90Ninety View Post
    Have ran into a few hurdles ( maybe I shouldn't tinker so much )

I put my 1.5 TB HDD (with working Linux 12.10x64 installation) from my low range rig to my High range Rig . Now I have a HD7770 and Phenom x2 3.0 Ghz , so should be much better (in theory)
    However the OS seems unstable , I keep getting black screens and my monitor cannot handle the signal from the GPU

I will try a DVI/VGA cable instead of the HDMI to see if this is a solution

This issue is intermittent however when the OS does work , some programs fail to launch ( Steam for example )

Also tried Shank , which in theory should work , however it looks horrible and runs dog slow

Any suggestions , I believe it to be driver issues

New Rig
    Phenom x2 2.8 BE
    Asus Mobo
    8 Gig Corsair Ram
    Well, if both those boxes didn't use the same GPU driver, you could be screwing the monitor. It is best to disable/remove any GPU drivers **before** moving 1 install into a new box unless you know it has an identical GPU. I think video over HDMI sorta just works, it is only the audio+video that needs the specific GPU drivers.

If that doesn't solve the issue, you'll want to search for "ubuntu install {insert-motherboard-model}" on google. That should provide any necessary installation tips needed. If that doesn't find anything, start looking up all the chips used in the system on a LHC - Linux Hardware Compatibility List. If you find that a specific component isn't supported, either search for a close driver or swap it out.

Forget about Steam for the time being. That program is too new to worry about. It is just for gaming anyway. What programs do you really need to work on the PC to make money? Those are your priorities.