Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avconv Creates Files That Crash MP3 Player

Beans

Re: Avconv Creates Files That Crash MP3 Player

Quote Originally Posted by AvoidedRider View Post
    For diagnostic purposes I put a copy of a file that is bad online at the following location.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/km92w7c2j9cfoej/One.mp3?m
    File plays fine here, it is vbr which might account for the varying results with players interrogating it...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

There is still some disagreement between devices on the bit rate of the file but it is playing on the device. I used the -v 8 option and it is reporting it as a 56 Kbps fixed rate. Thunar properties concur and vlc shows that the codec bitrate is 56 kb/s while the file input bitrate is 132 kb/s.
    You can calculate the average bitrate manually. A 3 MB file that has a duration of 4 minutes would be:
    Code:
    (3 MB * 8192) / 240 seconds = 102.4 kilobits/second
    So are we saying that
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
    is not the correct way to install this program?
    Correct. See:

Beans
    Hidden!

I can confirm this problem -- mp3s created from flvs with ubuntu's version of ffmpeg were unplayable on a SanDisk Clip+. I used ffmpeg -i $i -ab 192k -ar 44100 $i.mp3, and also avconv -i $i -ab 192k -ar 44100 $i.mp3, and playing mp3s so created froze the player. I replaced /usr/bin/ffmpeg with the ffmpeg static binary downloaded from the link provided in post #7 in this thread, converted same flv files to mp3s, and they now play without freezing. I'm using Mint 13 Maya. I routinely use ffmpeg, and this problem just appeared within the last week or three, so perhaps there was a change to ubuntu's version of ffmpeg that broke something. I had also arrived at the solution of converting flv to mp3 with Audacity, which produced mp3s that worked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12