Thread: Hauppauge PVR-150 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Hybrid View

Beans

Hauppauge PVR-150 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Hi,

I'm having problems getting my Hauppauge PVR-150 to work on my system. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit, and I'm trying to connect a game console to the PVR through the composite video plugs. I want to use VLC to view the output from the console, and don't care about recording it.

So far I've only managed to get audio, and a crappy picture. I can recognize the image, but it's too snowy to be of any use. Sometimes the image will be clear, but will scroll horizontally to the left. Also, peculiarly, it seems to give me the best image the first time I use it after a start-up. Each successive time I attempt to use it with VLC, the image gets worse and worse, and quickly (3rd or 4th time) just shows complete snow or static. The audio always works however.

I've noticed that on the Hauppauge support page it says:

"The drivers are now bundled with the mainstream kernel, and work out-of-the-box with any recent Linux distribution, such as Red Hat / Fedora / Ubuntu / Gentoo and all others. A separate package is no longer required in order to use these products."

There's a lot of info on the web about Hauppauge products and linux, and a lot of it is fairly old, so I'm not sure what applies and what doesn't. It's also entirely possible that I've messed it up myself while trying to figure out all the ivtv/v4l stuff.

Is there firmware required to get this working, or is it really supposed to be plug-and-play now? Does the state of the image I'm getting suggest that the card itself might be broken?

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Evan

Beans

Re: Hauppauge PVR-150 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

If it helps at all, here's a snapshot of what I meant when I said the image is clear, but scrolls horizontally to the right:

Trying to play SNES through PVR-150 on Ubuntu 12.04.jpg