Thread: Can't Install Anything - Repository Problem?

Beans

Unhappy Can't Install Anything - Repository Problem?

I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my office computer (which was running ******* when I got it) and I can't seem to find any of the usual stuff in the software list on synaptic or the software manager. I finally installed a ouple of things from source but I can't find octabe or scilab and many of the things I find, like maxima, result in errors like "Failed to download repository information - Check Your Internet Connection". When I oen the details panel I ee: " W:Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.13 80]". My internet connection is just fine, T3 at a major university (Caltech). What happened to Ubuntu, Octave used to be a package that existed as a binary in the repository? Please help me out here, I can't work without Octave.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't Install Anything - Repository Problem ???

Quote Originally Posted by jobattle View Post
    I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my office computer (which was running ******* when I got it) and I can't seem to find any of the usual stuff in the software list on synaptic or the software manager. I finally installed a ouple of things from source but I can't find octabe or scilab and many of the things I find, like maxima, result in errors like "Failed to download repository information - Check Your Internet Connection". When I oen the details panel I ee: " W:Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.13 80]". My internet connection is just fine, T3 at a major university (Caltech). What happened to Ubuntu, Octave used to be a package that existed as a binary in the repository? Please help me out here, I can't work without Octave.
    10.10 Maverick reached End Of Life in April 2012,which is the reason the repositories have been closed.

12.04 is the current LTS release.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

I can't seem to upgrade to 11.04 either and that is the only option I have. How do I upgrade past 11 to 12 directly? Do I have to re-install completely?

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jobattle View Post
    I can't seem to upgrade to 11.04 either and that is the only option I have. How do I upgrade past 11 to 12 directly? Do I have to re-install completely?
    11.04 also reached its EOL last October. I think its time for a fresh install.