Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deleting Partitions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Deleting Partitions

For persistant usb you simply create it with unetbootin and specify the size allocated to the persistant file. You don't create partitions on the hdd.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    For persistant usb you simply create it with unetbootin and specify the size allocated to the persistant file. You don't create partitions on the hdd.
    I have never made a persistent USB, is there an advised size for the persistent file?

Can I view the USB using GParted?

I considered partitions because I thought that working with the USB would give me some experience of working with partitions without risk.

Am I right in assuming that if I decided to replace Vista with Lubuntu and the system crashed at some stage, then I could lose all my data?

Thanks
    Last edited by anon_private; January 12th, 2013 at 01:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have never used persistant usb either. I guess you need at least 2GB usb stick, the ubuntu image is about 750MB so you will have more than 1GB for the persistant file. That should be more than plenty. Even on bigger usb sticks you can decide to make the file 1GB or similar.

Yes, you can view any usb stick and all partitions on it using Gparted.

As for replacing vista and losing data if lubuntu crashes, first of all if you literary replace vista with lubuntu, you need to copy the data first because the vista partition will be overwritten with linux ext4 partition. All data is erased in the process. So you need to use the lubuntu live mode for example and copy any data BEFORE you do anything else.
    Concerning losing data if lubuntu crashes, depends what type of crash we are talking about. If the OS gets corrupted and you can't fix it you can still use live mode, copy the data you need, and do a new clean install. You never lose all the data at once unless the hdd dies or something, and in that case you lose all data regardless which OS you had installed. Linux actually works much better than windows, and it less likely to crash in any way. Your current vista is crashed, right?
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123