Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Deleting Partitions

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    297
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Deleting Partitions

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Not exactly. The root, /home and swap are all different partitions, so you can't call it ONE partition. It's three.
    But yes, if you later install another linux version using these same partitions, it will not affect Vista in any way, or any other partition on the disk.
    You can create the partitions in advance with Gparted, but it's not needed since you can do it with the installer. In any case, you should have the 30GB unallocated space (not belonging to any partition) before you start. And not have reached the limit of 4 primary partitions.

    From ubuntu live mode, can you open terminal and post the output of this command:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l (that's small L)
    That will show us the existing disk layout.

    If you install the grub2 bootloader to the MBR (which I recommend) it will overwrite the windows bootloader, but it's easy to restore it back even if you don't have a vista dvd. Making ubuntu boot with the windows bootloader is more complicated especially if your vista is not working good right now because of low resources.


    Disk /dev/sda: 250GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

    Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 32.3kB 57.6MB 57.5MB primary fat16 diag
    2 57.7MB 10.8GB 10.7GB primary ntfs
    3 10.8GB 250GB 239GB primary ntfs boot


    Model: USB DISK 2.0 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 4010MB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

    Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 4129kB 4010MB 4006MB primary fat32 boot, lba


    Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0
    has been opened read-only.
    Error: /dev/sr0: unrecognised disk label



    Vista is not working at all at the moment, but I still want to keep it. Sometime in the future I may be able use it.

    I am a little worried about overwriting to Vista bootloader.

    I will let the 'something else' create the partitions.

    If I wanted to delete Lubuntu for some reason, would this be straightforward and not affect Vista.

    I am trying to keep all my options open.

    Best wishes.

    A

    Ps. Thanks for advising

    PPS. If I wanted to post the GParted information. Is this the correct command.
    sudo gparted.

    I thought that I should check this before typing in case it wipes
    Last edited by anon_private; January 10th, 2013 at 01:28 PM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Deleting Partitions

    Well, you can't worry about every little thing in this world, right?

    In reality, the windows bootloader on the MBR is not even a bootloader. It's only a small piece of code that continues the boot process where the boot flag is. That's why it's easy to reproduce it even with linux tools.

    The thing is that grub2 is not designed to work on a partition, and that's where you have to install it if you don't install it on the MBR. If vista doesn't even work, I think you are giving too much thought to the windows bootloader. Simply use grub2 and you can restore the windows bootloader when you want to.

    If you do install ubuntu/lubuntu, note that you can't simply delete the ubuntu partition in future. It's better to restore the windows bootloader first, test that vista is booting, and only then delete the linux partitions on your disk.

    But all of that is not very important or urgent, we are talking about IF and WHEN you want to remove ubuntu.

    More important is the fact that your hdd doesn't have unallocated space on it. Almost all hdd belongs to the vista partition. You need to shrink it so that unallocated space is created.
    But shrinking vista is best to be done by windows Disk Management. If you can't boot vista, you can't do that.
    How did you plan to create the unallocated space for ubuntu?

    If vista is not working, personally I would back up all personal data from it, and reinstall it on a smaller partition, so that it leaves space for ubuntu on the end of the disk. That will have two benefits:
    1. Ubuntu will have space to install without shrinking any partition.
    2. You will also get a working vista installation.

    In this situation it's pointless to keep vista and on top of that you are getting so worried about it and its bootloader.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    297
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Deleting Partitions

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Well, you can't worry about every little thing in this world, right?

    In reality, the windows bootloader on the MBR is not even a bootloader. It's only a small piece of code that continues the boot process where the boot flag is. That's why it's easy to reproduce it even with linux tools.

    The thing is that grub2 is not designed to work on a partition, and that's where you have to install it if you don't install it on the MBR. If vista doesn't even work, I think you are giving too much thought to the windows bootloader. Simply use grub2 and you can restore the windows bootloader when you want to.

    If you do install ubuntu/lubuntu, note that you can't simply delete the ubuntu partition in future. It's better to restore the windows bootloader first, test that vista is booting, and only then delete the linux partitions on your disk.

    But all of that is not very important or urgent, we are talking about IF and WHEN you want to remove ubuntu.

    More important is the fact that your hdd doesn't have unallocated space on it. Almost all hdd belongs to the vista partition. You need to shrink it so that unallocated space is created.
    But shrinking vista is best to be done by windows Disk Management. If you can't boot vista, you can't do that.
    How did you plan to create the unallocated space for ubuntu?

    If vista is not working, personally I would back up all personal data from it, and reinstall it on a smaller partition, so that it leaves space for ubuntu on the end of the disk. That will have two benefits:
    1. Ubuntu will have space to install without shrinking any partition.
    2. You will also get a working vista installation.

    In this situation it's pointless to keep vista and on top of that you are getting so worried about it and its bootloader.
    Gparted says that there is unallocated space (1.58 MiB).

    If you confirm the command, I will post the information.

    sudo gparted - yes/no.

    If I can't use the install facility as it is in Lubuntu, I'll leave things as they are, or re-consider installing Lubuntu alongside Vista

    Thanks
    Last edited by anon_private; January 10th, 2013 at 04:27 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Deleting Partitions

    If a graphical app you should use graphical sudo from command line or gksu or gksudo.

    gksudo gparted

    Forum rules on root vs. sudo
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1486138
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo
    http://xkcd.com/149/


    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows
    How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ta/7Bootloader
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Deleting Partitions

    Yeah, sudo gparted is safe. That's how you can start it from the terminal but it doesn't do anything until you tell it to, it only starts the program.
    In fact, since Gparted is graphical program, if you want to start it from terminal it's better with:
    gksu gparted

    For graphical programs you use gksu in place of sudo.

    It might show unallocated space of 1.5MiB between partitions but have you thought what can you do with 1.5MiB?

    A larger word document is larger than that. You need many more GBs for the OS, not MBs.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    297
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Deleting Partitions

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Yeah, sudo gparted is safe. That's how you can start it from the terminal but it doesn't do anything until you tell it to, it only starts the program.
    In fact, since Gparted is graphical program, if you want to start it from terminal it's better with:
    gksu gparted

    For graphical programs you use gksu in place of sudo.

    It might show unallocated space of 1.5MiB between partitions but have you thought what can you do with 1.5MiB?

    A larger word document is larger than that. You need many more GBs for the OS, not MBs.

    Hi,

    Yes, you are right. It is not much space.

    I am looking for an easy and safe way of forming the partitions.

    There may not be one. If that is the case, I'll consider either using the live Lubuntu pendrive (as I am at present), or installing alongside Vista.

    Best wishes.

    A

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Deleting Partitions

    But installing along vista means that ubuntu will be installed on linux partitions next to the existing vista partition. That still means there will need to be unallocated (unpartitioned) space on the hdd where the linux partitions will be placed.

    If there is no such space, the installer can shrink the vista partition, but as i mentioned windows doesn't like linux tools to shrink its system partition. It's best to do it from within vista. But you say you can't boot it, so you can't do that either.

    The choice is yours. I still say better to get your data out, reinstall a working vista, then shrink it or not depending how you installed it (whether on the whole hdd or leaving unallocated space for ubuntu), and then install ubuntu.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In my skin.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Deleting Partitions

    Make free space, create an extended partition, stick whatever you want on logical partitions in that. Just remember, four primary partitions is the limit. So, three primarys with an extended and as many logical partitions as you like inside that is the way to go (Win usually wants two or three primary partitions anyhow).

    You don't need much more than 10 - 15Gb partitions to install Ubuntu and if you are just trying it out and not stacking data in there, probably less.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    297
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Deleting Partitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Make free space, create an extended partition, stick whatever you want on logical partitions in that. Just remember, four primary partitions is the limit. So, three primarys with an extended and as many logical partitions as you like inside that is the way to go (Win usually wants two or three primary partitions anyhow).

    You don't need much more than 10 - 15Gb partitions to install Ubuntu and if you are just trying it out and not stacking data in there, probably less.

    Thank you for responding.

    I do not understand the concept of extended partitions.

    Best wishes.

    A

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    297
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Deleting Partitions

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    But installing along vista means that ubuntu will be installed on linux partitions next to the existing vista partition. That still means there will need to be unallocated (unpartitioned) space on the hdd where the linux partitions will be placed.

    If there is no such space, the installer can shrink the vista partition, but as i mentioned windows doesn't like linux tools to shrink its system partition. It's best to do it from within vista. But you say you can't boot it, so you can't do that either.

    The choice is yours. I still say better to get your data out, reinstall a working vista, then shrink it or not depending how you installed it (whether on the whole hdd or leaving unallocated space for ubuntu), and then install ubuntu.
    Thank you for replying.

    As a matter of interest, If I decided to make a persistent Lubuntu LiveCD would it be better to use Unetbootin to simply create the USB, or make a partition for Lubuntu and then use Unetbootin?. In the case of the latter, how could I ensure that Unetbootin installs the files into the correct partition.

    The USB will also contain a personal folder containg files.
    Last edited by anon_private; January 12th, 2013 at 05:01 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •