Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which OS is Drupal best suited to

Beans

Re: Which OS is Drupal best suited to

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post

I would recommend using the 64-bit version of Ubuntu Server 12.04 instead.
    12.04 is an LTS (Long Term Support) release, meaning it is more stable than 12.10 as well
    as having a much longer support period (until 2017). LTS releases are recommended for servers unless you have to have the latest versions of software (you don't).
    I agree with you and I would love to use the 64-bit version of Ubuntu Server 12.04, but as I can seen on the page below, there is no 64-bit version available for an Intel cpu. All of my pcs have Intel processors and no AMD at all.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/

Thanks a lot for the woderful reply you have given to me, appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The amd64 version is for AMD and Intel CPU's.

It's named this way because AMD first developed the instruction set that all modern 64-bit CPU's now use.

amd64 is the name of an architecture, it has nothing to do with who makes your CPU.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    The amd64 version is for AMD and Intel CPU's.

It's named this way because AMD first developed the instruction set that all modern 64-bit CPU's now use.

amd64 is the name of an architecture, it has nothing to do with who makes your CPU.
    Thanks a lot for clarifying the whole idea behind the naming of a link for 64-bit version. I vaguely remember a friend of mine telling me the same thing as you have. But I never got to download a 64-bit version thinking it might trouble my the then pc with only 2 GB DDR3 RAM, but now I have 4 GB DDR3 RAM. So despite the slow connection I am going to download 64-bit versions of both servers ie Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (for long term support) and 12.10 for the latest features.

Thanks a lot for your help, appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12