Thread: Linux as a game server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Linux as a game server

I have Ubuntu 12.10 set up, and I am hosting a minecraft server -- what other games can I host with this dual xeon 3ghz and a bunch of windows clients?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Linux as a game server

A lot of games have linux dedicated servers even if they don't have linux game clients available, I'd suggest just thinking of games that you like and searching if they have a linux dedicated server.

I run a Team Fortress 2 server on my little server.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Precisely the kind of information that I was looking for, but I had hoped someone already made a list. It would just be easier to find a few and maybe even purchase games based on what I could host locally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Steams Source Engine Server is available for Linux, it's used for all of the games that run on the Source Engine that have a multiplayer mode. For example Half-Life 2, Counter Strike Source, Day of Defeat.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

enemy territory ( ), unreal tournament (some versions not sure if all), diablo 2 (via wine) well and as menitoned some windows games actualyl have linux servers. ridiculous....
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It makes sense, Linux is rather popular in the server market.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You can run a dedicated server for any Source game out there (TF2, CS: S, CS: GO, DODS, Gmod, etc, etc...) with minimal effort. The Linux tool for managing servers is really easy to use and they pretty much run and update themselves once you've got everything installed. I think (I only have experience with Source and Minecraft) that the unreal engine also offers dedicated servers. You'll have to search around for those though.

There are so many games out there that none of us will be able to provide an exhaustive list. duckduckgo is your friend.

Just a note, if you can, put the Minecraft server on a separate HDD from everything else. It will generate the lion's share of I/O and can slow down other servers on the same machine. Also, don't put it on a SSD- you will thrash it in no time flat.
    Last edited by epicoder; January 10th, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
    Don't use W3Schools as a resource! (Inconsequential foul language at the jump)
    Open Linux Forums (More foul language, but well worth it for the quality of support and good humor.)
    If you want to discuss W3Schools, please PM me instead of posting.

Beans

Steam have a tool (dedicated server update tool or something)that you can get from the website that gives you options to download game servers - not just source and gold - I once tried CoD MoD 3

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Great thing about Linux is that they are so good, server wise (though I love my desktop) that a lot of games out there support Linux servers, even when there is no Linux clients.

On my Linux server, I host a Minecraft FTB server (its a mod pack for Minecraft, see http://lanpartymania.com/?p=452 for a small write-up on it.

I also host my own Mumble server, as well as a server for Killing Floor.

It's been extremely stable, as well as speedy!
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com