Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customize ubuntu live CD improving security

Beans

Customize ubuntu live CD improving security

I'm a beginner of the Unbuntu OS. I'd like to create a live cd to surf in websites like paypal, ebay and keep out malware (in particurally new generation zero day malware that use keylogging and ssl sniffing, often not detected by most av vendors).
    For this reason I need help in the creation of live CD: how can I improve security at the highest levels (firewall, read, write, and execute permission)?
    Are there security tool Can I add to live CD?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Customize ubuntu live CD improving security

There are special linux distros targeting hight security. One of them is tails.

https://tails.boum.org/download/index.en.html

I think it is hard to make it better without a hugh effort. But with a reasonable effort you can make a reasonably safe ubuntu system.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

Beans

Thanks for reply and thanks to the Ubuntu community.

Beans
    Hidden!

You are welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The problem I see with using a Ubuntu live cd is that the ISO gets released once for every version. There are many security updates that you won't have by running the live cd. You'll be running outdated/unpatched software.

Beans

Searching on Google I've found Lightweight Portable Security (Live CD) distro from the US Department of Defense. I've read this distro does not mount to the hard drive of the host computer, then malware in the HDD, even if exist can't interact with linux distro.

I'd like to know if it was released to the open source development community.
    Last edited by savbuntu; January 9th, 2013 at 04:30 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by savbuntu View Post
    Searching on Google I've found Lightweight Portable Security (Live CD) distro from the US Department of Defense. I've read this distro does not mount to the hard drive of the host computer, then malware in the HDD, even if exist can't interact with linux distro.

I'd like to know if it was released to the open source development community.
    All Linux live CD's (including Ubuntu) have this feature. I personally would choose Ubuntu over the DOD's distro. Here is a review:

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...110704#feature

As mentioned above, however, a Live CD will be missing any security updates/patches since the CD was released. Better in my opinion to use an installed system, with all security patches up-to-date, and practice proper security practices as described in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

Ubuntu is quite secure for the typical user out-of-the-box. There is absolutely no need to worry about Windows malware*; Linux is completely immune.

* The only concern would be unknowingly passing an infected file from one Windows user to another Windows user. You can use a program such as clam-av to scan the files you forward.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    All Linux live CD's (including Ubuntu) have this feature.
    I was about to post the same myself, when I remembered that Ubuntu will automatically mount any swap partitions it finds. I suspect other desktop distros may have the same default behaviour.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    I was about to post the same myself, when I remembered that Ubuntu will automatically mount any swap partitions it finds. I suspect other desktop distros may have the same default behaviour.
    Good point Paqman!

In which case, simply:

Code:
    sudo swapoff -a
    before beginning your online banking session.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You could also pass Grub the option:
    Code:
    noswap
    before booting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast