Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Install start x without internet

Quote Originally Posted by caleb12134 View Post
    so it should be sudo dpkg -i /Econ/xinit.deb
    the flash drives name is "Econ" and the package is xinit.deb
    so what would it look like with the following info plugged in
    It would be that, if you mounted the USB at /Econ, otherwise it is mounted at /media/Econ, or something.

Beans

so the usb name is "Econ" and the file name is xinit.deb and this is a new server and new install of ubuntu. We set it up to the sudo command. and we arent approved for internet access so i downloaded the file on a flashdrive. so what should it look like with the following info i listed??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by caleb12134 View Post
    so the usb name is "Econ" and the file name is xinit.deb and this is a new server and new install of ubuntu. We set it up to the sudo command. and we arent approved for internet access so i downloaded the file on a flashdrive. so what should it look like with the following info i listed??
    Well, that depends on where the USB is mounted.

Beans

what goes in the /to/ spot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can you take a step back for a minute and tell us exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Trying to install the xinit .deb package by itself from a USB stick isn't going to work, first you need to install all of its dependencies. But all of those packages need their dependancies installing first as well, and so on, and so on.

This is why Ubuntu machines really should have an internet connection, without it you have to spend hours manually tracking down, installing, and keeping packages up to date. This is not the way it was designed to be used. If you had an internet connection on your machine you could do all of this hard work automatically with one simple command...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xinit
    Even if you do manage to sort out all of these dependancies and install xinit, it isn't any use by itself, xinit is just used to initialise whatever graphical user interface you have installed.

Also there is a good argument for not installing a GUI on a server in the first place. All of the configuration of services on a Ubuntu server is done by editing text files, this can be done just as easily from the command line. Also having a GUI uses up system resources unnecessarily and provides a bigger surface for attackers.
    Cheesemill

Beans

I really need a GUI on the server. Can you guys help me install it? what do i need. all we need to run is a webserver and mail server. We are gonna host the schools sites and club sites and we need emails. we also need to know how to set up the firewall and encryption.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You have a lot of learning ahead of you, I would recommend starting by reading through the official Ubuntu Server documentation.

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/index.html

Make sure you read the sections titled Installation, Package Management, Security, Web Servers, LAMP Applications and Email Services.

There are also plenty of good tutorials online, Googling for something like 'ubuntu server 12.04 lamp' will get you started.

Why do you need a GUI? As I mentioned earlier all of the configuration of a Ubuntu server is done by editing text files, which is just as easy without a GUI. Having a GUI uses unnecessary resources and provides a much larger attack surface for people trying to compromise your machine.

Also you mention that you don't have authorisation to connect this server to the internet, without internet connectivity it is impossible to set up a mail server or a web server.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; January 11th, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread closed. Please do not post duplicates, it dilutes community effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12