Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to install Ubuntu x 64 via wubi on windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I want to install Ubuntu x 64 via wubi on windows 8

I want to install Ubuntu x 64 via wubi on windows 8 but no luck so far why is that?

10x in Advance.

Beans
    Distro

Re: I want to install Ubuntu x 64 via wubi on windows 8

If Windows 8 was installed on your computer when you bought it then you're out of luck.

Wubi wont work on a computer that uses UEFI and GPT disks (which is all machines with Windows 8 preinstalled).
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Its a desktop computer with ssd drive and I personally installed everything including dual boot between my ssd drive and my hdd drive so It should work.

I'm trying to run it via virtual drive meaning poweriso mount option and all it said is to restart the computer and use cdrom.
    Last edited by aviramof; January 1st, 2013 at 12:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I Guess I will have to wait for the next version of Ubuntu x64 to support windows 8 with working wubi.

Beans
    Distro

The only things that don't work with Wubi are UEFI and GPT partitioning. If you aren't using either of these then Wubi should work fine.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunally it doesn't it just say restart the computer and nothing happen.

I used wubi before but on windows 7 32 bit and an old sata 1 160gb hdd not

on my brand new expensive computer with windows 8 pro so I really don't

know what is the problem.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/56758156.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by aviramof; January 1st, 2013 at 11:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

With multiple drives it should not be difficult to allocate the 25GB you would have for wubi to a Linux partition instead. Then you have a full partitioned install that does not depend on Windows.

From the developer of wubi:
    http://howsoftwareisbuilt.com/2009/0...o-wubi-ubuntu/
    Agostino: Wubi actually wasn’t designed to do long-term installations. The main aim was really to let people try out Ubuntu with confidence. Normally, users that start with Wubi tend to upgrade to a full installation to a dedicated partition at the next release cycle.

Install to external drive. Also any second drive.
    Installer version has not changed much so still a good guide except I do not recommend the separate /boot for most systems. Older systems may need it. And some with very large / (root) partitions. BIOS/MBR not for UEFI
    http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/07/23...2-hard-drives/
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    With multiple drives it should not be difficult to allocate the 25GB you would have for wubi to a Linux partition instead.
    +1. As Agostino said, WUBI is not suitable for long-term use. In my experience (and many other posts that I have read), it tends to be less stable, and can fail fatally..

If you intend doing more than just test-driving Ubuntu, go for a proper installation. I believe that 12.10 already supports UEFI, with the next point-release of 12.04 (due February) scheduled to do so.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro

I know how to install Ubuntu long term I have done it in the past but I don't want to install grub on my very fast new computer and mess up my windows 8 boot loader and that about it.

it could could a lot of problems that I don't want to fix later like removing grub with windows disk and the commands bootre.exe/fixboot and bootrec.exe/fixmbr on two seperete
    drives meaning that I would have to do it twice and change the drives in the bios everytime.

I have done it in the past on my old computer but here I really don't want to do it period.

now I have ssd drive and 1TB HDD not one ide drive and one 160GB sata1 drive and that makes a big difference for me.

There I had nothing here I have 140GB of high end games to loose if my bootloader would cause problem I want be able to fix.

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by aviramof; January 1st, 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

With multiple drives I really like to keep each drive separate. If not sure and as many suggest just disconnect the Windows drive and install Ubuntu. That way grub will not accidentally get installed to the Windows drive. Be sure to keep Windows as sda. You can use one time boot key or usually the chain load entry from grub will boot Windows. Some have had issues when Windows 8 is hibernated, so then one time boot key is no that difficult to use.

Always have a repairCD or flash drive for every system you have installed. Best to make one for Windows and if installing Ubuntu have the Ubuntu liveCD and possibly several other repair ISO on DVDs, CDs or flash drives. Boot-Repair and Supergrub are always good to have.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast