Thread: Epson stylus wireless printer and a netbook = no hair

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Epson stylus wireless printer and a netbook = no hair

I've been fighting with this for a couple of days now.

I have an Epson Stylus NX-330 that worked perfectly well with my windows machine.

the windows machine is a brick right now.

I bought an acer netbook a couple of months ago, tore windows 8 off it and installed 12.10 as the only operating system. My intent was simply to have a light, portable machine that I could take with me and write on. it's heavier than a transformer tablet but it was also half the price. I've added LXDE because ... well, it's poky. It's slow. I don't think my netbook can handle 12.10. If I could drop back to say 10 point something I think it would perform nicely. But I'm willing to put up with slow right now because my windows machine is a BRICK and I can't print anything, and I need to be able to print things for my work.

I've searched around looking for solutions. I run into a few barriers with this. They explain things at a level higher than my understanding, so the help isn't helping me because I don't have a firm grasp on the language.

so. Epson Stylus NX-330 Small in one? no usb connection. it is wireless only.

also. Acer A-100 netbook? no DVD or CD capability whatsoever. I used a cd to load the drivers on my windows machine; I cannot use that solution with my netbook.

I've seen this already. epson's page for printer drivers

I've gone to that page. I dont understand anything there. there's no explanation for anything. there are links for a ESC/P Driver (full feature), a ESC/P-R Driver (generic driver), a core package&data package, and a network plugin package. the first two are printer drivers; the second two are scanner drivers.

let's use just the ESC/P-R Driver (generic driver) as an example for now. I click the link that says "download" and it takes me here:

an incredibly long lists of all the printers these drivers support. I have no faith that this is true.

because I am a lazy person I just searched for NX330, and sure enough, it's in that huge list. I accept the agreement.

I then see

File name File size
    epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.2.2-1lsb3.2.i486.rpm 1.43 MB
    epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.2.2-1lsb3.2_i386.deb 1.73 MB
    epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.2.2-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm 1.43 MB
    epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.2.2-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb 1.73 MB
    epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.2.2-1lsb3.2.src.rpm 1.38 MB
    epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.2.2-1lsb3.2.tar.gz 1.45 MB

and I suppose i'm to download all of those, so I do.

THEN WHAT? they don't do anything! I click them, they do nothing. obviously i'm missing something that it's already assumed that I know, but I DON'T. and there's no easy way to find it out. I've been trying.

I've had an account here for years. I'm only on 25 posts. I hven't been using linux solidly in all that time, because every time i run into a problem like this I stop using linux and stick to what I know how to deal with. Windows may be frustrating but I've been using IBM machines since before windows was even a thing, so when something goes wrong I can often figure out how to even start looking for a solution just because my computer experience is saturated through years of exposure. but linux is just not that easy to learn, and so I've never spent a lot of time with it.

It's because I don't even have the most basic understanding, and while I know that I don't know, i don't know how to start knowing. I know that this is totally basic, and I'm stupid for not knowing it, but I don't know it, and I haven't been able to find a way to learn it.
    Last edited by Athena's Owl; January 8th, 2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: wow sentence fail