Thread: android rooting question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

android rooting question

My parents gave me an android tablet (Zenithink c93 with jb 4.1) for christmas and I was wondering if its possible or worth the effort to try to root it manually, assuming I have no experience with mobile, c, or messing on the binary level with system files...
    Also, is there name kind of standard rooting method across different android versions or does google keep patching them up? If so, what's the general exploit for jb 4.1?

Beans

Re: android rooting question

Over on slatedroid there is some info on rooting and custom ROMs for the ZT c93. Do your research and have fun!

http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/382-zt-283-c93/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just be aware that rooting may compromise your warranty.

So I'd not recommend doing it unless you have a good reason to.

Beans
    Distro

I agree, unless you have a need to do it, don't. I rooted my droid X a while back (read: when I still had a droid X.) It was fine until one day I had to boot into a repair utility to unbrick it. Z4root (if available for your tablet) is the easiest, as all you do is run the app, and unroot the same way, if you still want to root. Good luck, and BE CAREFUL.
    Last edited by LuciferRex; January 8th, 2013 at 05:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Rooting most devices isn't as scary as people think. Just do your homework first, and have a "get back to factory plan".

The biggest reason you should root is to put a custom ROM on there. Depending on the device and the ROMs available for said device you can get a lot more bang for your buck. Better battery life, faster performance on older devices, no bloatware, more look and feel customization, free tethering (at least in the US tethering is a software restriction not a carrier-side block).

Yes rooting voids your warranty in most cases, so should you need warranty social engineering is your best bet. "Gee I have no idea why my device doesn't power on, I see it's still under warranty, please help." Most returned electronics go in the recycle/refurb pile, no one's double checking the thousands of returned devices to see if you've violated the terms of your warranty. If they want to repair it that's a different story.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MSPdwalt View Post
    Just do your homework first, and have a "get back to factory plan".

The biggest reason you should root is to put a custom ROM on there.
    These are important points.

Don't misunderstand me, I have 2 Android devices: Nexus 7 tablet and Samsung Galaxy Ace.
    The former is running the default (unrooted) OS, since it does what I want it to, has a (reasonably) nice interface, and has lots of excess space for apps etc despite the (few Google) compulsory ones installed.
    The latter is rooted with CyanogenMod7 installed, since it has a miniscule (by my needs) internal storage and RAM, and the carrier installed apps were dragging it down. Hence, replacing with CM7 gave it a new lease of life as I was on the brink of buying a new phone.

Based on the OP questions being asked here, a lot more homework needs to be done before embarking on something that would risk bricking a new device. So - yes - not as scary as some people think. But can be a lot scarier in cases where you brick (i.e. apparently permanently break) your device.

As an example, the official wiki documentation for CM7 on Samsung Galaxy Ace suggested using ROM Manager to install for several months AFTER the first stable release; there are plenty of forum reports that ROM Manager use bricks the Ace. This information (at the time - now corrected) could only be found by very thorough searching of forums and blogs in addition to the official wiki. Of course, the first person to experience it was out of luck...

Even if you are able to get it repaired / replaced under warranty, my point is why take the risk unless you have a good reason, or you are prepared to take the risk.

Note: I have replaced OS on multiple "appliance" devices - specifically phones and routers - all are riskier than doing the same on your PC.