Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compiz story end

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Compiz story end

Sam only support maintenance in the near future, and stop developing it. End of story. So unity ?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTI2ODU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Compiz story end

Hooray! Perhaps this will be the kick Unity needs to finally adopt (or create, or be) a lean, polished and stable window manager instead of a compositing plugin system that does window decorations.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; January 7th, 2013 at 05:24 PM.

Beans

Compiz in Ubuntu has particularly been a bummer for me

I'd actually almost fallen in love with Unity by the time 12.04 was released but when they brought in "llvmpipe" in 12.10 performance dropped so badly for me, even on OpenGL minimally supported hardware, that it's just a non-starter.

OTOH I find Mutter to work (although slowly) on even very old hardware like P4M800 graphics. I'd love to see Ubuntu drop their dependence on Compiz!
    Last edited by kansasnoob; January 7th, 2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Corrected

Beans

The link to Sam's blog is worth reading: http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/sideways/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

And there I was thinking about Ubuntu mobile and wondering if the User Interface (supposedly Unity) used Compiz or if it was fitted on to something from Android.

Is the Ubuntu phone a Ubuntu phone OS. Or, Ubuntu sitting on top of or sitting side by side with someone else's phone OS? I found some interesting (I think) comments. I will try to find them for you.

Operators have room to enhance Ubuntu with their own services, content, apps and branding without breaking compatibility with the broader Ubuntu app ecosystem.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems

If you have your own UI, then you can build your own devices using the industry-standard Ubuntu Core, without the Ubuntu UI, and enjoy the most popular Linux toolchain, core system libraries, security updates and huge selection of packages at a very low cost per device.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/backed-by-canonical

And finally,

Ubuntu for Android components produced by Canonical are generally licensed under the GPLv3 or LGPLv3. Alternative licensing is available on the proviso that Canonical retains discretionary rights to include work done in the public versions of Unity and Ubuntu.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android/commercial-info

I wonder, how much of this decision to not develop Compiz is based upon a realisation of the limitations of Compiz on mobile devices.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; January 7th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Hooray! Perhaps this will be the kick Unity needs to finally adopt (or create, or be) a lean, polished and stable window manager instead of a compositing plugin system that does window decorations.
    yeah, hopes to see finally reality come true : does not care much about 3D , and even find it irritating most of the time (only a toy for disturbing kids & selling new hardware).
    The main issue has been the gnome3 rough transition from gnome2, and we mostly need to wait one more year (at least) to get back into gnome3, most of the gnome2 fonctionalities.
    About unity, the main error has been to set it on the desktop (not a clever decision) and gnome-shell will also probably kick it out.
    Last edited by dino99; January 7th, 2013 at 05:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Good. I never liked Compiz.. Maybe ubuntu can evolve now

Beans
    Distro

No big loss, Compiz / Unity is dragging Ubuntu performance down.

But what now ? Unity3D is build as a compiz-plugin.
    Will this mean that Unity finally will be rewritten to use Mutter like Cinnamon from Mint ?

Or will Ubuntu revive Unity2d in a 3d version?
    Unity 2D is an implementation of Unity using Qt and QML like the upcoming Ubuntu phone ?
    We've adopted QML at the heart of a set of technologies to bring the Ubuntu experience to mobile devices
    Only The visionary Mark knows the answer

Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    The link to Sam's blog is worth reading: http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/sideways/
    That's a good link. I read it all the way through and I agree with 98% of what's said there, BUT when it comes to this:

a post-desktop world in the near future
    I always laugh

Desktop computers and HTPC's will always be needed and desired. A tablet or phone is NOT going to replace all other devices. Suggesting that they will is like suggesting that motorized scooters will replace cars, buses, or trains. Now we need a knew emoticon for "so stupid it's laughable"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The plan for 13.04 was for Wayland/Weston to give a smooth visual transition from boot to login. That was dropped because there would not be enough time to bring it in. May be we will get the full Wayland experience in 13.10?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast