Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Compiz story end

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Compiz story end

What a surprise! People saying nice things about Compiz. I guess the old song is true. "You don't know what you have got until it is gone."

Ubuntu is already using Android display technology in Ubuntu for Android/Ubuntu Phone.

Two things have become almost a religious belief for Canonical over the last few years. 1) Ubuntu a multi-device platform and not only for the desktop. 2) Unity is the user interface that is the common theme linking these Ubuntu devices.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans

What a surprise! People saying nice things about Compiz. I guess the old song is true. "You don't know what you have got until it is gone."
    I don't think this is the case here i think people that probably don't use Ubuntu anyway were/are the biggest critics of Compiz. Users that stick with Ubuntu probably can't deny they use modern desktop environment with a lot of nice features that makes them more productive and it looks good compared to other operating systems.

I do believe some users actually did/do have problems with Compiz but this is usually related to bad or no GPU driver and that for sure can lead to higher CPU usage or instability but that is not the problem of Compiz because if Compiz would not be used then what would happen? User would try to use Steam or play some FOSS game for example and that would not work out like user imagined it would!
    Last edited by EgoGratis; February 4th, 2013 at 07:35 PM.

Beans

As user it will be hard to let Compiz go if this happens.

Why?

Sure i can use another DE/WM/Compositor/... and for sure i do believe some might work a bit faster on older hardware but i really don't have problems with Compiz ATM and all the nice features Unity has and i like to use are usually great Compiz plugins and opening CCSM it usually doesn't happen i can't achieve what i am after!

Nothing else in Linux world offers this to me ATM but for sure there are some options but none of them can offer me the whole package and there are always (big) tradeoffs compared to Compiz/Unity (KDE is ATM the closest thing for me).
    Last edited by EgoGratis; February 4th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans

Yes nice video and i don't know for sure but i guess Wayland/Weston will deliver and if Canonical still wants to use something else at least keep the doors open for let's say next 2 years.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567