Thread: Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705 Video Corruption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705 Video Corruption

Greetings!

I just recently experienced some graphics corruption issues with my nVidia GEForce GO 7900GS. This is a video card that is part of my laptop and so it is a highly proprietary (read: expensive!) component.

I wanted to document my experience with repairing it as I think it is something that Dell should have proactively mitigated. Because they haven't, I think there are many people out there getting a rather raw deal.

If you own a Dell Inspiron with a GeForce video card, and are experiencing graphics corruption, read on!

If you didn't buy any extended warranty coverage, you will be out of luck. Even to get a new card. Most of what you can obtain is refurbished or liable to break as well. It is now 2010 and the 9400/E1705s are from around 2006/2007.

Because of this, I had all but given up until I came across some forum discussions speaking about a technique known as "baking" your video card.
    With nothing to lose and everything to gain, I decided I would give this rather dubious technique a shot!

So. First thing's first, I have to cover some points.

If you are experiencing some weird green/blue dots all over your DELL bootup logo, and green columns of dots and other glitches in your video, you most likely are experiencing the same issue as me.
    Keeping that in mind, you may also not be. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

If your laptop is still covered by warranty, please do not try this. While I feel as though this solution has the potential to be superior to warranty replacement, it's important that you continue to get support from Dell. Heck, they might even replace your laptop if you got extended coverage long enough!

Anyway, the technique is simple. Preheat your oven to ~385F. It doesn't have to be exact, but try to get as close as possible, going over if you can't be precise.
    Most instructions I read suggested 10 to 15 minutes at 400F, but I thought that would be a bit much for the smaller laptop card.

Take a small baking sheet and lay a sheet of foil over it. Then, roll some foil into three 3/4" balls.
    With the heat sink on the left, place one ball underneath it. Then place the other two on the right to support the rest of the cards weight. You can push down a little to flatten the tops of the balls, but so long as it stays put, you're good.

Once the oven has heated to 385F, place it on the middle rack and time eight minutes. Once the card is out, remove the card and place it near the oven to slowly cool off.

After about 20 minutes, the card should be cool to the touch and can be placed back into your laptop where - if all goes well - it will be back in action!

I hope that anyone else with the same laptop as me gets a chance to read this post before giving up entirely. This laptop has lasted me three years and I hope to have it for at least three more beyond that.

I know with Ubuntu I can do it, it's just a matter of the hardware lasting long enough now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705 Video Corruption

I can't believe this actually worked! I just tried this on the video card of a friend's inspiron 9400. 8 minutes at 385 degrees later and the video card works perfectly now!

Thank you so much for this!

Beans

Hi,

I too gave this a go and the result was a working video card again.

This is essentially a fix for finding dry solder joints, the heat from the oven melts the solder to a point where it will "merge" together again. When the card cools it's like solder joints from the factory. Just thought I'd add my result and a little of the science behind the fix.

Thanks for posting the method.

Beans

well, when i read this, i though this were some kind of joke that were being played on .we have four dell inspiron 9400/ e1705 laptop with the same video card nvidia gefource go 7900 gs and all has some kind of issues with it .i brought one card of the internet for $180.00. If i none this unbelievable crap would work. I would never believe if any one who told me this crap would work . Now here we go , i put a totaly dead card in the oven and i mean completey dead card.and to my amazement it revive that card like brand new condition . So we decide to place the other card in the oven the same way as instructed, and walla they all came to life as if they were brand new and fix my cards perfectly. I still can't believed what took place, but it did work and im very impress. You are the man, you save me a-lot of money. Thanks again'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''':d:d

Beans

I tried this and it just made things worse. Now the computer has a blue screen error .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

Old thread is closed now.

As per the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct, please do not post in threads more than one year old.

Thanks!
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein