Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should this forum have a resolved option in addition to the mark solved option?

Re: Should this forum have a resolved option in addition to the mark solved option?

Quote Originally Posted by coldcritter64 View Post
    +1. Double the options, double the potential for misuse ?
    Thanks for the replies!

If there are two options people might reconsider at least half of the times.

Also there is a habit of demanding threads to be marked as solved when the solution was actually non related to the inquiry.

site:ubuntuforums.org ubuntuforums.org "Please mark this thread as SOLVED"
    53,300 results

Now, this could be
    site:ubuntuforums.org ubuntuforums.org "Please mark this thread as RESOLVED"
    and

I find myself clicking more and more often on ubuntugeek instead http://ubuntuforums.org Solved.
    Linux into the classroom NOW!
    http://www.taiwan-taipei.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Should this forum have a resolved option in addition to the mark solved option?

I have used UF as a resource since 7.10 (Nov'07). I 1st joined here as a member Mar '10. This is my second account here. I know what you mean, as a researcher the distinction of "Solved" and "Resolved" would be massively useful.

Currently with 1 option I would "guess-timate" about 30-40 % of the about 800 threads I've posted/subscribed to have ever been marked. (Note: I've only posted about 3 threads of my own) That is despite all the staff and user requests for OPs to "Mark your thread solved", staff can also mark threads, I don't expect they should though as it is such a massive task. Some people don't even bother to respond if their issue is fixed let alone mark the thread even if it is.

Simply human behaviour seems to undermine your suggestions feasability, to impliment would be quite a bit of work. I suspect that work would then be promptly ignored by the majority of the userbase here. Cheers.

Edit: check out askubuntu.com and iirc launchpad.net has a questions section OP. I've used both in the past for useful info.
    Last edited by coldcritter64; January 7th, 2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: moe research resources for the OP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

In an ideal world, solved ubuntu problems would make their way into a wiki or FAQ somewhere. I would like a button: "Itch has been scratched. No more scratching advice needed."

My difficulty in searching the forums is that the threads grow to several hundred responses. So some searches are essentially useless because they return threads with several hundred posts each. Now you have to go through each one for the information that you are looking for.

Google site searching will bring you to a post page, but then you need to backtrack through the thread to get the context of the problem and the understanding of several work-arounds proposed.

I don't know of a more efficient technical support forum than this one, and yet we want more. It beats waiting on the phone forever, or a Live Chat session with someone reading a script.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by davidvandoren View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

If there are two options people might reconsider at least half of the times.

Also there is a habit of demanding threads to be marked as solved when the solution was actually non related to the inquiry.

53,300 results

Now, this could be
    site:ubuntuforums.org ubuntuforums.org "Please mark this thread as RESOLVED"
    and

I find myself clicking more and more often on ubuntugeek instead http://ubuntuforums.org Solved.
    Based on the parts in bold, I'm wondering a bit about things. If you think "Please" = "demanding", then imagine the confusion between solved and resolved.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by coldcritter64 View Post
    check out askubuntu.com and iirc launchpad.net has a questions section OP.[/noparse] I've used both in the past for useful info.
    Ask Ubuntu is run as a tight ship. One nice thing about Launchpad is that there's a facility to convert a question into a bug (for those who find filing bugs ab initio intimidating).

Overall, I think the Ubuntu Community's resources are spread too thin with obvious consequences but that would be off-topic.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When I see a thread marked as 'Solved' I simply consider it as 'Case Closed', for whatever reason - resolved by whatever means - at least for the original poster ...

BlinkinCat is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Hi,

I have found that even when specifically directed to mark as "Solved", at times members do not do so, apparently as a result of difficulty in navigating the forum. This is even the case if poster has advised of his satisfaction in his last post only one minute earlier.

Maybe having an extra choice such as "Resolved" could add to the confusion ?

Just my 0.02 cents

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12