Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should this forum have a resolved option in addition to the mark solved option?

Should this forum have a resolved option in addition to the mark solved option?

When I search for a problem on Google, I prefer to read the marked solved threads first.

However, 90% of the time there isn't a solution to the problem, instead the person bought a new pc, graphics card, doesn't need the application any-more etc. etc..

I find this pretty annoying and think that people should mark these threads something different. Maybe resolved or settled, whatever, but not solved.

What do you think?
    Should there be another option and what should it be?
    Linux into the classroom NOW!
    http://www.taiwan-taipei.com

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Should this forum have a resolved option in addition to the mark solved option?

No. People just need to learn the right way to use Solved. Even if you had a Resolved option, people would use that wrong, too. That annoys me, too.

We just need to do some more browbeating to get people in line.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Should this forum have a resolved option in addition to the mark solved option?

People post on different forums or find and answer other ways and simply don't come back to the forum until the next problem. It is up to the OP to use the available option to mark the thread solved. Threads not marked solved often include information helpful to others users. I don't know that adding another option that might not be used would be helpful. Only the OP can decide if their question has been answered .
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    People post on different forums or find and answer other ways and simply don't come back to the forum until the next problem. It is up to the OP to use the available option to mark the thread solved. Threads not marked solved often include information helpful to others users. I don't know that adding another option that might not be used would be helpful. Only the OP can decide if their question has been answered .
    The OP's problem is not that people don't mark threads as solved. The problem is that people do mark them as solved when the actual problem hasn't been solved. That gives false hope to people who are looking for a solution to the same problem. If someone's solution is that they bought a new computer that is more compatible, that doesn't really solve the actual problem.

I hate it when people do this, too. I can't count the number of times I've searched for a solution to a problem, found a solved thread, only to be let down when I read through the whole thing.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think if you're going to add a new button it should be a
    'no mas' button for the people who give up on trying the solve their problems and go in a different direction(like reinstalling), rather than solving the problem they had.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Solved or unsolved, resolved or unresolved, read the CoC or dont read the CoC

There is no solution to people.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Moved to FF & H.

I agree there are a few folks who use 'Solved' incorrectly (one recent example, someone installed Windows as sole OS and thus "solved" their Ubuntu problem); not sure there's much to do about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sometimes the OP marks the thread [SOLVED] but doesn't specify which response provided the solution

I don't like sounding pessimistic, but I doubt much good will come of having solved and resolved.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Solved or unsolved, resolved or unresolved, read the CoC or dont read the CoC

There is no solution to people.
    Right. People are going to misuse and abuse things no matter how easy or accessible you make it to do things the right way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    ...I don't like sounding pessimistic, but I doubt much good will come of having solved and resolved.
    +1. Double the options, double the potential for misuse ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast