Thread: Can not run an installer file ..help

Beans

Angry Can not run an installer file ..help

Code:
    /home/administrator/Desktop
    bash: /home/administrator/Desktop: Is a directory
    administrator@administrator ~ $ chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-310.19.run
    chmod: cannot access `NVIDIA-Linux-x86-310.19.run': No such file or directory
    this is literally driving me nuts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can not run an installer file ..help

Assuming the file is indeed on your desktop: first change to the approriate directory:
    Code:
    cd /home/administrator/Desktop
    then execute the chmod:
    Code:
    chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-310.19.run
    Seeing as how you're logged in as "administrator" I assume you do have the priviliges to chmod the file? Otherwise precede the chmod with 'sudo'.
    I'm thinking about it

Beans

ok so everything seemed to be working until nvidia told me installation has failed and gave me a log file, here it is:
    Code:
     PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
        ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
    -> The file '/tmp/.X0-lock' exists and appears to contain the process ID '1226' of a runnning X server.
    ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing.  For further details, please see the section INSTALLING THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
    ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

STOP.

Before doing a manual install of an Nvidia driver, go to Ubuntu Software Center and use the Edit menu to open the Software Sources program.

From there, you can easily install Nvidia drivers. (That's for 12.10 - if you're using 12.04 you need the Additional Drivers program, available from the Dash or from System Settings). It's much easier than doing it manually, and there are other benefits too, namely that you don't have to keep reinstalling the driver each time you install a kernel update. The version Ubuntu can help you install is the safer option, basically.

ONLY if you know you need the version from the Nvidia website, which is sometimes newer and sometimes supports newer hardware, should you attempt a manual installation of the driver from the Nvidia website.

Your problem is that you're still running the graphical display. The Nvidia driver from the Nvidia website doesn't like to be installed with your graphical desktop still active. You need to temporarily turn it off:

Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    You'll be dropped back to a text-only terminal where you can do the Nvidia driver installation. When done, type:

Code:
    sudo reboot
    You need to do this every time you install a kernel update. Every. Single. Time.

Please, unless you have no other option, just use the version that Ubuntu helps you install, as you can simply install it once and it will work forever.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; January 7th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mlentink View Post
    Assuming the file is indeed on your desktop: first change to the approriate directory:
    Code:
    cd /home/administrator/Desktop
    then execute the chmod:
    Code:
    chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-310.19.run
    Seeing as how you're logged in as "administrator" I assume you do have the priviliges to chmod the file? Otherwise precede the chmod with 'sudo'.
    following the steps without sudo, nvidia gave me installer should be run in root, so i put sudo in the 2nd and 3rd command and it proceeded. unless i login as superuser which is not recommended?

Beans

Additional drivers is stuck on "applying changes"
    EDIT
    closed synaptic and it works now
    Last edited by dokha; January 7th, 2013 at 01:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm glad everything is sorted now.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.