Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't recognise Canon Legria HF R306

Hybrid View

Beans

[SOLVED] Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't recognise Canon Legria HF R306

Dear all,

I'm relatively new to Ubuntu and have very little experience with the command line.

I have Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) and am trying to connect my camera Canon Legria HF R306 to the laptop to download the videos.

The problem is that the camera is connected to the laptop by a usb cable but the computer doesn't see it.

What can I do?
    Last edited by Gimly_axe; January 7th, 2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: [SOLVED]

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't recognise Canon Legria HF R306

Did you try with a photo organizer like Shotwell, F-spot or Digikam?

Such programs are good at finding cameras.

By the way, it's a video camera, so I would suggest Shotwell or Digikam.

If you don't have them, install them with Synaptic or with the terminal window commands

Code:
    sudo apt-get install shotwell
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install digikam

Beans

Dear sudodus,

Thank you for your kind answer. I'm going to try the programs you suggest now.

However, I've solved the issue with a little lateral thinking: I've put the SD card in the card reader. No need to detect the camera now.

I'm going to tag this thread as [SOLVED] now.

Thank you once more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That camera was first released in 2012 as far as I can tell, and your distro was released in 2010; that may well be your problem.

Try using a live CD of Ubuntu 12.04 or better yet, 12.10 and see if it works as expected. If it does, then you need to use a newer version of Ubuntu.

EDIT: Your lateral thinking was a good solution too. I'm glad you can access the files now with little fuss.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    That camera was first released in 2012 as far as I can tell, and your distro was released in 2010; that may well be your problem.

Try using a live CD of Ubuntu 12.04 or better yet, 12.10 and see if it works as expected. If it does, then you need to use a newer version of Ubuntu.

EDIT: Your lateral thinking was a good solution too. I'm glad you can access the files now with little fuss.
    +1

I can only agree