Thread: how to diagnose kernel panic

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy how to diagnose kernel panic

Hello

I encountered on several occasions kernel panic by pluging in and unpluging my usb logitech webcam on my christmas setup.

New system:
    i5 3470
    asrock h77 pro4/mvp
    ssd samsung 830
    8gb g.skill

At first I was trying to install SL6.3. But I had some problems, so I decided to install xubuntu12.04. Installed my stuff(virtualbox, vmwareplayer, audacious, qmmp projectm, audacity, nautilus) and just when it started to feel cozy enough to migrate my data the problems came back: qmmp froze, virtualbox froze, desktop wallpaper disappeared till reboot and then I had my first kernel panic in years. The behaviour is not constant; sth it just freezes the system, sth nothing happens.

What I tried:

• updated uefi-bios, no effect
    • booting 12.10 12.04 live ubuntu and xubuntu, nothing happend but reacted a bit slow
    • memtest doesn't start, not live and not from grubmenu, my display powers off and I can hear the fans running; I even tried to replace mt86plus with mt500b1.bin, didn't work

Any suggestions how to further proceed?

Thanks
    harry

Edit:
    I returned mainboard and ram to my reseller. In case this doesn't solve my problems I create a new thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dirty_harry; January 9th, 2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: explaination