Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 freezes after boot

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 freezes after boot

I am willing to wipe the hard drive and try to re-install, but I need to know what to do if the problem arises again.

As I have said, the freezes happened with the old hard drive when I installed from an internet download, and they also happened when I got a new hard drive and installed from a CD. In both cases there were updates installed.

This is a new HD, so I am not losing any valuable data if I wipe the HD. I just want to get this OS up and running by any means necessary, and as soon as possible. I would rather not have to wait another year or two for Ubuntu to release a version that's less buggy.

Beans

So at this point, if I were to wipe the hard drive and start over,

1) is there a command I could use in the root (in Recovery Mode) that would reformat the hard drive?

And
    2) If I do re install, what should I install to stop this from happening again?

Or is there some other alternative way to get Ubuntu to work?

Maybe some kind of error log that would tell me what's going wrong?

Beans

OK thanks everyone! The problem is solved!

I reformatted my hard drive and redid the installation, but did not install any updates or proprietary drivers this time!

I used to use Windows where we had to regularly install updates and worry about avoiding viruses. With Ubunu, there's less risk from viruses, you just need to avoid some of the updates! LOL!

Thanks for your help everyone. I just need to find advice about what updates/ drivers to avoid, but I guess that's a topic for a different thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12