Thread: iTunes on Lubntu

Beans

iTunes on Lubntu

Followed the community guidance found at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1688221

Navigated to winehq.org/download. The 'download ubuntu packages' link is seen and clicked. The instructions are: "open the software sources menu by launching the Ubuntu Software Center" This is a lubuntu machine and clicking the link leads to nothing but an image of what one should see... but no download. http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu is the URL.

Not sure about how to proceed.

Beans

Re: iTunes on Lubntu

At the very bottom of the page you linked are instructions on how to install wine by command line.
    You can follow those instructions; or just type out these commands:
    Code:
    $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    $ sudo apt-get  update
    $ sudo apt-get  install wine1.5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It depends on what you want iTunes to do for you. You can get the player to work with some older versions, but forget about buying music from the store - that part just wont work.

If you're looking for an online store, try Google Music. They leave iTunes for dead in terms of features, and the music costs about the same. Best part is, because it's web-based, it works across all platforms (Linux, iOS & the other one...)

Also, I wouldn't use wine1.5, as it's in development. Best to use the stable wine1.4, imho.

Best of luck!
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Thread moved to Wine
    Me on the web:

Beans

Much thanks for the reply. I already installed wine 1.4 weeks ago. It is the iTunes install that I thought I was following.

Beans

Much thanks for the reply. I actually have 1.4 installed. I seek minimal itunes features... app downloads, upload my own cd music, and download a few video news shows.

AppDB is supposed to be downloaded from the winehq.org site. Found the site and the download link but no download is forthcoming. any guidance is welcome

Beans

As you will see from the linked WineHQ web page, every version of iTunes has a different success (or lack thereof) in Wine. You need to read the details for the version you're attempting to use and see what folks did to get it working: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=1347
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.