Thread: Major Linux Problems on the Desktop 2013

Hybrid View

Beans

Major Linux Problems on the Desktop 2013

Re: Major Linux Problems on the Desktop 2013

More what's wrong with Linux. Nothing new, so moved to Recurring Discussions.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Who can so any OS is perfect, but is *Ubuntu the best running for me? Indeed. Certainly the issues i see in the linked page (in my install) either are not noticable to me, or do not exist.
    Last edited by Jakin; January 7th, 2013 at 02:31 AM.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans

I'm personally of the opinion that linux is, ideally, not properly capable of being a 'Desktop' OS in the sense most people mean it.
    In order to give people a functional desktop, you need all sorts of crazy software(polkit, consolekit), and you still have much of the UNIX ideas running against the feel of a desktop.

Granted, it works reasonably well in most cases, but it feels to me like using a hammer as a knife.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ouch. This author isn't just some random hater; they know their stuff. Probably half of what they said I agreed fully with.

It's not a list of what's permanently wrong with Linux (unfixable) but of things that could be fixed, but probably won't.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ouch. This author isn't just some random hater; they know their stuff. Probably half of what they said I agreed fully with.

It's not a list of what's permanently wrong with Linux (unfixable) but of things that could be fixed, but probably won't. With maybe a year of mighty concerted effort, most of the author's points could made obsolete... but it'll never happen, because the current players in open-source software will NOT work together to bring on the polish.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Those are just symptoms, really. The fundamental problem is one of approach.

Discounting the "I don't care who uses Linux" crowd, there is definitely a strong subset of Linux users and developers who are trying to make "desktop" (meaning laptop, too) Linux "easier" or "more user-friendly" for everybody on every kind of hardware.

Wrong approach.

Google has scored a major success with Android and a minor success with ChromeOS. I'll tell you now my Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, and Chromebook are my main computing machines because they are refined products that are formed through a partnership of software and hardware.

If you don't have a partnership with AMD or Nvidia, why would AMD or Nvidia release great Linux proprietary drivers?

Google doesn't have to make ChromeOS function for every single laptop out there, only for specifically designed Chromebooks. And HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG, etc. all work to get their hardware working well with Android. It's not the reverse. Can you imagine if Google tried making an OS that "magically" worked on every handset, even the ones it wasn't designed for? It'd be a mess.

Most consumers want preinstalled, well-integrated, manufacturer-tested products. It's better for them to have an OS work 99% on a limited set of hardware than an OS to work 80% on all hardware.