Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I finally tried Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lightbulb So I finally tried Windows 8

Holly crap, did they just take a cue from gnome-shell and Unity? It's practically Unity with the launcher on the bottom and a full-screen dash. All-in-all it wasn't nearly as bad as my first impression when I played with the consumer preview. I may actually upgrade my Windows 7 install to it when I start classes this next semester ( My school has a deal with MS that we get a lot of their software for very cheap and even free )
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: So I finally tried Windows 8

Greetings,
    Clearly you you have been blessed. I congratulate you! Can't wait to dine at the table of the Master myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I wouldn't say it took from Gnome Shell or Unity. I feel it is more the direction most DE are going in a more mobile application look that most people feel comfortable with.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

MS tried to to get a more suitable touch interface like unity and gnome 3 yet more disjointed, while being less user friendly.

the more I use it the more I hate it.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am using Windows 8 on my desktop currently and with the added start-button I am using it like Windows 7 and it is working well for me currently (if I had a touch device I would use the "Modern Interface").

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by smellyman View Post
    MS tried to to get a more suitable touch interface like unity and gnome 3 yet more disjointed, while being less user friendly.

the more I use it the more I hate it.
    Tried it for about 30 minutes then ditched it. It pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    I am using Windows 8 on my desktop currently and with the added start-button I am using it like Windows 7 and it is working well for me currently (if I had a touch device I would use the "Modern Interface").
    I'd rather use Windows 7 than install Windows 8 and customize to look like Win 7. There's no point using Win 8 if you just want to make it look like Win 7.

Other than that, Win 8 boot time is like magic. It's too damn fast. It's as if it's restored from a very fast sleep mode (Instant On feature on ASUS laptops).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Tried it for a couple of weeks, still don't like it or Windows as a whole.

It might be better if it was skinned to be more attractive, but this obsession with harsh block colours just makes everything so horribly ugly. Seriously, CDE is much easier on the eye.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Installing Windows is only the start, you still have to spend 3+ hours installing updates, anti-virus, anti-malware, MS Office and Office Updates .....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Tried it for a couple of weeks, still don't like it or Windows as a whole.

It might be better if it was skinned to be more attractive, but this obsession with harsh block colours just makes everything so horribly ugly. Seriously, CDE is much easier on the eye.
    I agree, I can't stand the tiles/coloring. I suppose they wanted to avoid using Icons and looking to much like some other OS interface out there.

From usability perspective however I found it easier than Windows 7 once I found out that I can just use it's search to find the programs I need to use.

I personally have no use for a classic style start menu, after using search oriented DE's like Unity, I much prefer a launcher for frequently used apps and using the search function for everything else. Which is how Win8 is designed.

It's also lighter than it's predecessor, a trend I hope to see in Ubuntu as performance is addressed in the next few releases
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post

I have windows 8 with touchscreen on a laptop. Without the
    touchscreen feature, i doubt i would have bought it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast