Thread: Pens and brushes in Gimp

Beans

Question Pens and brushes in Gimp

Hi everybody,

i've been using my Wacom Bamboo tablet to do cartoons and stuff but i'm having troubles with the drawing tools. Currently i am trying to combine the facilities of 3 different programs: Gimp, MyPaint and Inkscape Vector. Each one has certain advantages and disadvantages, but it's a cumbersome process to combine the 3 for a drawing.
    Gimp is a very good tool, but i find its pens and brushes very restrictive or limited. MyPaint, on the other hand, has got a very good selection of traces, pens, brushes, etc. but otherwise is a very limited program. And none of them works with vectorized shapes (triangles, circles, squares, etc.) which forces me to work with Inkscape vector, that is gain very limited otherwise.
    I am currently using Ubuntu 11.10, Inkscape 0.48, Gimp 2.6.11 and MyPaint 0.9.1.
    Can anyboby help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Pens and brushes in Gimp

I don't have any clever ideas, but have you considered adding new brushes to GIMP?

• You can upgrade to GIMP 2.8. I recommend this, especially if you prefer the Single Window Mode.

Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Pens and brushes in Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by R-otrebor View Post
    Hi everybody,

i've been using my Wacom Bamboo tablet to do cartoons and stuff but i'm having troubles with the drawing tools. Currently i am trying to combine the facilities of 3 different programs: Gimp, MyPaint and Inkscape Vector. Each one has certain advantages and disadvantages, but it's a cumbersome process to combine the 3 for a drawing.
    Gimp is a very good tool, but i find its pens and brushes very restrictive or limited. MyPaint, on the other hand, has got a very good selection of traces, pens, brushes, etc. but otherwise is a very limited program. And none of them works with vectorized shapes (triangles, circles, squares, etc.) which forces me to work with Inkscape vector, that is gain very limited otherwise.
    I am currently using Ubuntu 11.10, Inkscape 0.48, Gimp 2.6.11 and MyPaint 0.9.1.
    Can anyboby help?
    There is some support for vectors in Gimp (see Paths). There is a script to generate all kind of geometric shapes. I also have a collection of path-related scripts.