Thread: Need for an NTFS Parition

Beans

Need for an NTFS Parition

I'm setting up a home server for the first time and thought I would make one of my HDD an NTFS drive because it seemed that it would be easier to share files with my Windows PCs on the network. However, when I noticed the slower transfer speed, and that Samba allowed me to access the ext4 partitions with no problem (and faster) I started to wonder.

Is there any real benefit to having an NTFS partition on a home server that will only be running Ubuntu Server (no dual boot)? Before I reformatted and had all ext4 partitions, I wanted to be sure I wouldn't regret it. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Need for an NTFS Parition

No, there is no need for ntfs at all. The Samba shares do all the work to present the network shares to windows machines. The windows client doesn't care about the filesystem on the server.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkway View Post
    Is there any real benefit to having an NTFS partition on a home server that will only be running Ubuntu Server (no dual boot)?
    There is one very good reason not to use NTFS in this circumstance. If the partition were to suffer filesystem corruption, you do not have access to the chkdsk utility in Windows to fix it. There is no Linux utility that can completely replace chkdsk.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thanks. I was thnking I wouldn't need an NTFS partition, but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.