Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Software

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    16

    Software

    Hi there people of Ubuntu can you recomend any software that you think would be good on a netbook ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Beans
    1,326
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Software

    It depends what tasks you're needing to perform, docs/office/school? Photo editing? Music editing? etc etc

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaptera View Post
    It depends what tasks you're needing to perform, docs/office/school? Photo editing? Music editing? etc etc
    +1 on Megaptera post.

    If you don't give us any clues of what are your needs, we're unable to help you.
    Please provide us with some more details on exactly how are planning to use it? Is it just for web browsing, receiving and sending emails? Are you planning on using any office suits? Developing on any programming language?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    16

    Re: Software

    Want to be able to Piar My Iphone with it , Edit Photos ,watch Films, Download films, Would like to start to learn how to program and develop and usuallu find like sticky notes very handy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Spain
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Software

    The default install of Ubuntu should cover all normal needs (surfing, office, multimedia ...), but like @Megaptera and @slickymaster said, it depends. Is for work or leisure?, for example I play, so I have Steam installed, and for work I need LaTex. I prefer vlc for multimedia instead of Dragon Player. Personal preferences, but as I said, the default install should be enough for a standard use.
    One vision, one purpose.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    16

    Re: Software

    I dont really need it for work its just something for me to play around with for fun but at the same time let me take my photos and music nad films with me and when boared at work have a play with the Developing side of things .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Spain
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Software

    I don't know about the iPhone, but I had some problems pairing my BB9300 and Playbook. For photo editing I was told Gimp is a very good program. To download films, I think Transmission is installed by default and it is ok. To watch films I use vlc (my choice). The world of programming is very large. You can compile directly text files in the terminal, but some people prefer to install idle (for Python), or development enviroments like Eclipse or Netbeans.
    One vision, one purpose.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cinnamon land
    Beans
    362
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey666 View Post
    Want to be able to Piar My Iphone with it , Edit Photos ,watch Films, Download films, Would like to start to learn how to program and develop and usuallu find like sticky notes very handy
    Ubuntu can't do much with an iPhone apart from get your camera pictures off it. For your photo library Shotwell is installed by default and on a Netbook make sure to activate GIMP's single-window mode, it is very helpful. (In the GIMP, go to Window > Single-Window mode).
    Also take a look at the Sticky Notes indicator: http://www.linuxnov.com/indicator-st...egory-support/
    Ubuntu Manual - Good Tutorials
    Webupd8 - Cinnamon! - Synapse
    Some just want to watch the world LEARN


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    16

    Re: Software

    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34 View Post
    Ubuntu can't do much with an iPhone apart from get your camera pictures off it. For your photo library Shotwell is installed by default and on a Netbook make sure to activate GIMP's single-window mode, it is very helpful. (In the GIMP, go to Window > Single-Window mode).
    Also take a look at the Sticky Notes indicator: http://www.linuxnov.com/indicator-st...egory-support/
    if i have music on my netbook will it transfer to my iphone ?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,829
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey666 View Post
    if i have music on my netbook will it transfer to my iphone ?
    The quick answer is yes...if you're lucky, and you're iPhone isn't very new. The best way to find out it to search for threads explaining how and try their methods.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •