Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noob needs some answers

Beans

Re: Noob needs some answers

I think thats a good piece of advice howefield. Leads to some more question tho..

Are there any differences between Ubuntu and Xubuntu regarding the installation?

I want to take a look at all the (common) desktop environments. I've read that its possible to install multiple desktop environments on Ubuntu and chose the one to use upon startup. Does that apply for Xubuntu aswell?

--> I mean can I install KDE on Xubuntu and then chose between KDE and XFCE?

And it is possible to use Unity (is it a Gnome??) on Xubuntu?

I chose the LTS version in the first place because JiuJitsu said that "LTS releases are always more stable". To be honest I'm not sure about how long I will use it tho. Could be between few days and few years.

It will depend on my user experience within the next days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Noob needs some answers

Quote Originally Posted by pnr2501 View Post
    Are there any differences between Ubuntu and Xubuntu regarding the installation?
    They are virtually identical, if you can install one, you can install the other.

I've read that its possible to install multiple desktop environments on Ubuntu and chose the one to use upon startup. Does that apply for Xubuntu as well?
    Sure, you can indeed.

You will end up with a mix of applications though, eg you'll have thunar file manager with Xubuntu and if you install KDE you will also have Dolphin, in other words the menus will fill up with the default applications from each desktop.

--> I mean can I install KDE on Xubuntu and then chose between KDE and XFCE?

And it is possible to use Unity (is it a Gnome??) on Xubuntu?
    Yep.

Install them all and choose which you want to use from the login screen.

I chose the LTS version in the first place because JiuJitsu said that "LTS releases are always more stable".
    All releases are meant to be stable, however LTS (which stands for Long Term Support) releases tend to be built using a more conservative base than non LTS releases and so one could/should reasonably expect to have fewer issues with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12