Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alternative to dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

alternative to dropbox

My Dropbox subscription is up for renewal in a couple of weeks. I am thinking of changing to another service. Any recommendations? I have tons (GB's of files that I need to back up in a safe place. I currently use Crashplan and Google Drive as well. I'm looking for a low cost alternative if there is such a thing. All suggestions welcome. Cloud or no cloud. I know I can back up to HD but HD's fail eventually.
    Randy McElligott
    www.mcran.com

For the best in Jazz, In Transition every Sunday from noon-2pm EST www.chuo.fm

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans

Re: alternative to dropbox

Quote Originally Posted by rmcellig View Post
    My Dropbox subscription is up for renewal in a couple of weeks. I am thinking of changing to another service. Any recommendations? I have tons (GB's of files that I need to back up in a safe place. I currently use Crashplan and Google Drive as well. I'm looking for a low cost alternative if there is such a thing. All suggestions welcome. Cloud or no cloud. I know I can back up to HD but HD's fail eventually.
    http://lifehacker.com/5818908/dropbo...-right-for-you

http://www.cio.com/article/716487/5_...ves_to_Dropbox

https://www.informationweek.com/stor...rage/231000787

http://www.mspmentor.net/2012/12/18/...embu-weigh-in/
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I only use free services, but sugar sync is pretty good, and easily accessible from Android (and presumably iPhone) phones / tablets as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I don't think they have a Linux syncing app, but Microsoft Skydrive is pretty nice. They give you 7GB free. The have Windows, Android, and iOS apps, but I don't think they have a Linux app.

Edit: Here are some older instructions to mount a Skydrive in Ubuntu.
    Last edited by forrestcupp; January 6th, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

There's also Cloudme http://www.cloudme.com
    Last edited by roten; January 6th, 2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: had to make correct link

Beans

Or you could get an external harddrive. What's the chance of both your internal and external drive dying at the same time? the gb to $ ratio is better for local storage
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rmcellig View Post
    Crashplan Unlimited is cheap ($4-$6/month depending on contract length). Why not use that for backup and Google Drive, Ubuntu One (free) or Dropbox (free) for file syncing?

If it were me, I'd also be backing up to a local USB drive (belt and suspenders FTW). The nice thing about CrashPlan is you can use it to backup locally as well as offsite.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Or you could get an external harddrive. What's the chance of both your internal and external drive dying at the same time? the gb to $ ratio is better for local storage
    I was going to say this. Plus it's easier and faster to transfer your files over USB instead of the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Look into setting up your own OwnCloud either locally or on Amazon so it is accessible over the internet while away from home?!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast