Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto install and setup of Mythbuntu 12.04 (64bit) for DVC-B using the Hauppauge WinT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Howto install and setup of Mythbuntu 12.04 (64bit) for DVC-B using the Hauppauge WinT

Installing and setup of Mythbuntu 12.04 (64bit) for DVC-B using the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-930C and the PCTVSystems QuatroStick-nano 520e tutorial

Please note:
    This tutorial is a work in progress as it is pretty comprehensive. Therefore I will update it when i have time, so please come back and check it every now and then.

This tutorial describes the scenario of having the back and frontend on the same machine.

Table of Contents
    1. Goal for this post
    2. Why I wrote this
    3. Why I chose the 520e, the 930c and not the 930c-HD
    4. Different versions of both tuners
    5. How to install the firmware for both the 930c and the 520e
    6. Why and how to install the v4l-dvb program
    7. How to check if the firmware is recognized
    8. How to setup the Mythtv backend for solely using DVB-C
    9. How to make Mythtv use two other disk drives other than the OS drive for recorded data
    10. How to backup and restore you setup of Mythtv
    11. Why the 520e stick is not really working and how to fix it
    12. How to setup mythtv's backend use of the two usb sticks
    13. How to use w_scan to figure out which frequencies your tv provider uses
    14. What is EIT
    15. That's it

Goal for this post
    The goal for this post is to provide a complete tutorial for setting up the backend of MythBuntu 12.04 for the use of two different tuner cards for DVB-C. Though the hardware is able to get other signals than DVB-C these will not be used. It is assumed that the back and frontend are on the same machine.

If your setup is not completely like mine you still might find some of the topics usefull.

Why i wrote this
    I made this, so I can look it up when I have forgotten how I did things. I hope others can use it too.

Why I chose the 520e, the 930c and not the 930c-HD
    I chose the PCTVSystems QuatroStick-nano 520e because it should be compatible with linuxtv and because it supported mpeg4.
    See this link for hauppauge (and pctv) linux compatible tvtuners:
    http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge

The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-930C I also chose because it was compatible with linuxtv. Actually I first bought Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-930C-HD. The HD version is not supported by linuxtv. Or atleast that is what I am guessing that all HD versions have the same USB ID. The HD version had USB ID 2040:b130 and the normal version have USB ID 2040:1605.

I have made a note about it on the page: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge

Another thing about the 930c-not-HD version is that even if it says mpeg2 only in the stores I believe that it is able to get mpeg4. Somewhere I read that it is the computer that decompress the signal and not the tvtuner. Unfortunately I can't remember where. But with the 930c-not-HD I am able to get all the HD signals my provider sends.

The HD channels my provider (yousee) sends are in mpeg4. So I can confirm that the normal 930c-not-hd can show the mpeg4 channels.

Wirbel2 confirms this in his post below. To qoute him:
    ...mpeg4 as its getting a mpeg ts stream, independed of its actual content. Instead, the software is responsible here.
    With that in mind I would recommend the the 930c-not-hd as the best choice for watching dvb-c tv. The 520e has a problem which I will address later.
    Wirbel2 states that the 930c - I assume he means the not HD - can have some problems. I have not myself had any problems whatsoever with it. Maybe the problems is only for the DVB-T?
    Again I'll let the reader decide what to do.

Thank you Wirbel2 for you confirmations, corrections and advices.

Different versions of both tuners
    Apparently there are two versions of the 520e. The 23079 and the 23077.http://www.cinemagic.dk/shop/pctv-qu...no-26978p.html and http://www.cinemagic.dk/shop/pctv-qu...no-26977p.html.
    For the record the one I am using is the 23079. I have not tried the 23077 version and I do not know if it will work. From the post on linuxtv.com it is not clear if it works for all versions or just the 23079.
    http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...tick-nano_520e

And for the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-930C it is the same. More than one version of the non-HD. The one i have is model: 1279, which is working great, and can be found here (danish site sry) 930c 1279. The rest, there is the 01244 930c 01244, the 01309, which I do not know if works or not.
    Furthermore there is the 01239, which i think is for the german market.http://www.hauppauge.tv/site/products/data_hvr930c.html
    This (the 01239) does not work, since it has the USB ID 2040:b130.
    http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77512

Please do not buy this one: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-930C HD Analog + DVB-T + DVB-C, USB as it is HD and I don't believe it will work. It's model number is: 1252.

If you have another version of either of the sticks please let me know if it works or not - and if it only works for DVB-C/T or what, then i will update this post and the linuxtv acordingly.

How to install the firmware for both the 930c and the 520e
    For the 930c the installation instructions is found here:
    http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...WinTV-HVR-930C

go to directory Desktop (cd //home/”username”/Desktop)
    Code:
    mkdir 930c; cd  930c
    wget http://www.wintvcd.co.uk/drivers/HVR-9x0_5_10_325_28153_SIGNED.zip
    sudo apt-get install unzip
     unzip HVR-9x0_5_10_325_28153_SIGNED.zip
     dd if=HVR-900/emOEM.sys of=dvb-usb-hauppauge-hvr930c-drxk.fw bs=1 skip=71600 count=42692
     sudo cp dvb-usb-hauppauge-hvr930c-drxk.fw /lib/firmware/
    cd ..
    And for the 520e instructions are found here: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...tick-nano_520e
    using your browser goto http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...tick-nano_520e
    and find :"Alternatively, you can download the extracted firmware directly from*this link"
    and download the file “dvb-demod-drxk-pctv.fw”
    copy the file into the “~/Desktop/520e” folder
    from a terminal goto the folder “~/Desktop/520e” folder and
    Code:
    sudo cp dvb-demod-drxk-pctv.fw /lib/firmware/
    cd ..
    Why and how to install the v4l-dvb program
    This program needs to be installed as it is what makes linux and the dvb communicate.
    Before installing this we need:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libproc-processtable-perl
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) 
    sudo apt-get install unzip
    sudo apt-get install git
    sudo apt-get install patchutils
    Information copied from this link: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...Device_Drivers
    From you Desktop directory:
    Code:
    mkdir v4l-dvb; cd v4l-dvb;
    sudo apt-get install git
    git clone git://linuxtv.org/media_build.git
    cd media_build 
    sudo apt-get install  patchutils
    ./build
    go make some coffee.
    sudo make install
    and reboot

How to check if the firmware is recognized
    use some or all of these commands to check if the firmware is loaded and the sticks recognized.
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/dvb/
    ls -l /dev/dvb/adapter0
    ls -l /dev/dvb/adapter*
    OBS these commands will not work if you haven't installed v4l-dvb.
    Stolen from
    http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...Device_Drivers

How to setup the Mythtv backend for solely using DVB-C
    see these links:
    http://beckustech.wordpress.com/2012...part-2-mythtv/

For now we are not gonna scan for channels and instead we are going to set up the tuners properly.
    Open the mythtv backend:
    Applications->System->MythTV Backend Setup
    Go into 1: General
    on the first page remember your pin code.
    On the second enter your tv format and channel frequencies. Your “local time” you can leave at auto.
    On a later page it says:”Maximum simultaneuos jobs on this backend” set this to the number of tuners you have times 2. so if you have one tuner enter 2. On the same page you can enter CPU usage. I have a fast machine so I entered high, but honestly I have no idea what this is so you can probably leave it at low.
    Leave the rest, as is, in 1. General.
    In 2. Capture cards select New capture card. Move the cursor to “Card type” and select “DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)”. In “DVB device” select something like OBS HUSK AT SKRIVE DETTE!!!. And make sure your subtype is DVB-C. Leave everything else as is.
    Do the same for the other card.

Goto 4. video sources and select “new video source”. Under listing grabber find you country and click yes to “Perform EIT scan”. Set “channel frequency table” to “try-all”. Select “configure” and set up your provider. Then finish and go back to main menu.
    We gonna leave 5. and 6. for now and take a closer look at 7. storage devices. So exit the mythbuntu backend for now.

How to make Mythtv use two other disk drives other than the OS drive for recorded data
    Go to the folder
    /var/lib/
    and copy the folder “mythtv”
    Go to the drive and folder where you would like mythtv to save data and paste it.
    Now change permissions so that folder “mythtv” is owned by you (username) and the group “mythtv” have read and write permissions.
    This is not enough though. The group “mythtv” has to have read and write permissions to the “/” of that drive. Hence if a drive is mounted in /media/EXTsdb1 and in the file manager viewed as “EXTsdb1” then the group mythtv has to have read and write permissions to that drive – EXTsdb1. When this is done open Mythtv backend setup
    applications->system->mythtv backend setup
    go to 7 storage directories
    now you get a list that says
    1. Default
    2. livetv
    3. DB backups

etc.

Enter the default and type in the path to the folder where you want to have mythtv store its recordings. Do this for all of these folders. You can now delete the paths /var/lib/mythtv/recordings etc. If I remember correct you use “d” to delete.
    Exit the Mythtv backend.

How to backup and restore you setup of Mythtv
    Information stolen from this page: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
    Two files have been made which are used for this. They are in
    /usr/share/mythtv
    and are called:
    “mythconverg_backup.pl” and “mythconverg_restore.pl”
    When “mythconverg_backup.pl” is executed the backup file is saved in the folder we defined earlier ~/mythtv/db_backups.
    For you own safety make a backup now. We gonna make another after having scanned for channels as this is time consuming and we do not wanna do it twice.

Why the 520e stick is not really working and how to fix it
    The 520e has a problem. It is to sensitive and this can course it not to be able to get a lock on channels and when it does the image is pixelated and just bad. Due to this I recommend to use the other tuner – the 930c – to search for channels first.
    To fix the 520e your need and attenuater:
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Adding_Di...a)#Attenuators
    http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S...Attenuator.htm

How to setup mythtv's backend use of the two usb sticks
    Now we gonna set up the tv channels. If you can find out which frequencies and symbolrate your tv provider uses you can read on. For my company (Yousee) information can be found here:
    http://www.dkscan.dk/TV/yousee_hovedstaden.htm
    This site is in danish but the “Frekvens Digital” is the frequencies and the symbolrate I got from one of these site:
    http://jamesoft.dk/?page_id=301
    http://www.suodenjoki.dk/yousee_dvbc_channels.htm
    The symbolrate is usually the same for all frequencies.
    If you can not you should read the section “How to use w_scan to figure out which frequencies your tv provider uses” first. If you come from there remember to restart the myth-backend server.
    Code:
    sudo service mythtv-backend start
    Make a list of the frequencies and bare in mind that some channels are encrypted and some are not. This can course problems. My provider has one channel encrypted on one frequency and not encrypted on another. If I scan for the non encrypted first and the encrypted later, the encrypted will overwrite the non encrypted, so you list should order all the frequencies with encrypted channels first.
    Now open the MythTV backend again, select “5. Input connections” and select one of the tuners you set up earlier. Go to “video source” and change it from “none” to empty. Select the button “scan for channels” which should be activated now.
    Now for the time consuming and boring work of scanning for channels.
    Change the value for "scan type" until you see frequency, symbolrate, FEC, inversion and two more. Change the frequency and the symbolrate to the desired values and press "Next". Wait and let it scan. If it has found some channels keep clicking "Next" until you can click finish. If it didn't find any channels you can press back and change the frequency to the next value on your list. Repeat this for all frequencies.

Do yourself a favor and backup your system after having found all the channels.

If this has been succesfull you can skip the next step.

How to use w_scan to figure out which frequencies your tv provider uses
    You should only read this section if you do not know what frequencies your provider uses.
    The “w_scan” program can help you to figure out which frequencies you provider uses but it is not a bulletproof way as some frequencies might be skipped by this program.
    The w_scan program uses you location (country) as a guideline for which frequencies to scan. I encourage you to use not just you own country code (DK for Denmark, DE for Germany etc) but try different ones. I found some channels using the DE instead of DK.
    Wirbel2 comments that you should only use your own country code and that the scans are the same for DE and DK. I remember it differently but i can be wrong. I let it be up to the reader to decide.
    To use the w_scan make sure you installed it and make sure you stop the myth-backend first:
    Code:
    sudo service mythtv-backend stop
    cd //usr/share/dvb/dvb-c
    w_scan -fc -c DE -X -O 1 -F -t 3 -Q 0 -S 1 >> //home/username/Desktop/channels.conf
    Maybe the -X should be left out I can't remember.

This will create a channels.conf file in the format:
    NickHD:394000000:INVERSION_AUTO:6875000:FEC_AUTO:Q AM_64:3700:3701:3700
    for each found channel.
    And here it is easy to see the frequency and the Symbolrate.
    Do not import this channel.conf file into the MythTV backend because MythTV will not be able to get EIT in that way, and EIT is something we all want.

After having found the frequencies go back to How to setup mythtv's backend use of the two usb sticks.

What is EIT
    Electronic Information Technology.
    The TV provider uses the same frequency and symbolrate to send information about when what is aired. This means MythTV will be able to present a lovely overview of the channels and what is on.

That's it
    That was that. you should have a working backend now. How to use the frontend is beyond the scope of this tutorial. You are very welcome to leave critique, comments or even thank yous if you feel like it.
    Hope you could use this.

Best regards
    Morten
    Last edited by Morten ML; May 17th, 2012 at 10:26 PM.

Beans

Re: Howto install and setup of Mythbuntu 12.04 (64bit) for DVC-B using the Hauppauge

I encourage you to use not just you own country code (DK for Denmark, DE for Germany etc) but try different ones
    No. You should not. You should pass your country code to w_scan, nothing else. And you can omit this for satellite.

I found some channels using the DE instead of DK.
    Both are doing for those countries exactly(!) the same. If you need to repeat a scan, your hardware&&driver setup doesnt work reliable. Thats true for all channel scanners.

Another comment, not the dvb device is responsible if you can receive mpeg4 as its getting a mpeg ts stream, independed of its actual content. Instead, the software is responsible here.
    For most USB dvb devices, the difference for a 'HD' device is only a windows software codec, which you cannot use on linux anyway. So choose your device better by linux support and google around. The hvr930c has sometimes problems.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Howto install and setup of Mythbuntu 12.04 (64bit) for DVC-B using the Hauppauge

Hi Wirbel2
    Thx for your corrections.
    I will update my post accordingly when i have time.

With regards to the 930c i haven't had any problems at all with it - can it be that the problems are only occurring if you use it for DVB-T?

Best Regards
    Morten

Beans

hi,
    it looks promising to finally get the 520e to work . . . but I cannot compile it. The build aborts with and error in ov534.c saying: linux/fixp-arith.h: No such file or directory

Any suggestions
    T

Beans

Hi again,

the file seems to be back . . . I just waited for some hours and did the whole process again . . . now it still "builds"

T

Beans
    Distro

Hi Torsten.st

EDIT: I see we posted at the same time. Good to know you got it working. If you have another problem please post again.

EDIT2: I have updated the info about the 520e. There are two versions of it. please see: Why I chose the 520e, the 930c and not the 930c-HD

With that name you wouldn't happen to be a dane aswell? - just curious...

You shouldn't compile anything for the 520e. Simply copy the *.fw file to the /lib/firmware directory. keep in mind that the owner of that file should be root.

The thing that needs to be compiled and installed is the V4L-DVB program. I assume you followed the guide...

Are u using 32 or 64 bit and the 12.04 version? If you give me the precise specs i will make an VM and see if i can get the same error...

BTW: I have the 520e up and running. I needed a attenuater though, but it works now. I have only tried it for the DVB-C though. So you should ofc also be able to.

Best regards
    Morten
    Last edited by Morten ML; May 15th, 2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Stereo posts and new info

Beans

Hi again,

thanks a lot . . . so far I could not see if it really works. DVB-T did not find anything, DVB-C just scans. I am now setting up MythTV. Seems it added the digital TV stuff into gnome . . . so far so good.

I do run the 64 bit version and I am on of your southern neighbors . . . just the middle of Germany.
    T

Beans

Hi again,
    so . . . neither DVB-C nor DVB-T find any channel.
    The lsusb still shows "Pinnacle unknown "
    This is what w_scan for DVB-T returns
    w_scan version 20111203 (compiled for DVB API 5.4)
    using settings for GERMANY
    DVB aerial
    DVB-T Europe
    frontend_type DVB-T, channellist 4
    output format czap/tzap/szap/xine
    output charset 'UTF-8', use -C <charset> to override
    Info: using DVB adapter auto detection.
    /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 -> DVB-C "DRXK DVB-C DVB-T": specified was DVB-T -> SEARCH NEXT ONE.
    main:3079: FATAL: ***** NO USEABLE DVB-T CARD FOUND. *****
    Please check wether dvb driver is loaded and
    verify that no dvb application (i.e. vdr) is running.

For DVB_C it scans but .... nothing back

T

Beans
    Distro

Hi Neighbor

Do you have an attenuater betweeen the antenna cable and your 520e?
    If you do not the scan will not give any signals as the tuner can not get a lock without it. I have an attenuater that gives -20 dB and it still seems that i could use one more...

Another thing that just occurred to me is that there are different versions of the 520e. Do you have the PCTV QuatroStick nano 520e (23079) or the (23077)?

I have the 23079 working...

EDIT: I have updated the original post. I forgot you have to shut down the mythtv-backend before using w_scan.
    Last edited by Morten ML; May 15th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.

Beans

I originally had VDR installed and I think when you install it they automatically start it.

If you are testing I would think you need to shut down anything that is accessing the device. I uninstalled VDR

Is there a command to check to see if anything is accessing the device?

And why doesn't any of these scanning programs detect if the device is busy and TELL US it is?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast