Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning Redbox Instant

Beans

Warning Redbox Instant

It looks like a good deal but if all you use is linux and a rooted android device don't sign up. It won't even let you launch the app on android if rooted and it uses silverlight just like netflix
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Warning Redbox Instant

lol, Silverlight. Microsoft still trying to make use of that Frankenstein....
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    It looks like a good deal. But, if all you use is linux or a rooted android device then don't bother signing up. It will not let you launch the app on an android if it has been rooted and it uses silverlight just like Netflix.
    CORRECTED GRAMAR...

Thanks for the heads up despite the need to translate..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    lol, Silverlight. Microsoft still trying to make use of that Frankenstein....
    Not fond of Silverlight, but the reasoning behind using it is to prevent the copying of the video content. If it was not for that single reason I doubt anyone would use this mess.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Not fond of Silverlight, but the reasoning behind using it is to prevent the copying of the video content. If it was not for that single reason I doubt anyone would use this mess.
    people will copy video content no matter how much drm it has on it. the sooner these companies learn that they are only hurting paying customers the better.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    corrected grammar...

thanks for the heads up despite the need to translate..
    corrected spelling
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

It looks like a good deal but if all you use is linux and a rooted android device don't sign up. It won't even let you launch the app on android if rooted and it uses silverlight just like netflix
    Dammit, that's extremely disappointing. I was hoping we'd finally have a Netflix alternative that will work in Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Amazon, Hulu, Crackle, et al seem to be able to provide satisfactory DRM without Silverlight.

It's crap like this that makes it so hard for me to recommend Linux to my friends and family. Seems like there's always something an average user will want that isn't supported. I don't blame GNU/Linux, but I also don't know what the solution is.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

people will copy video content no matter how much drm it has on it. the sooner these companies learn that they are only hurting paying customers the better.
    someone needs to teach them about screen recorders, no matter how much DRM they use they can't prevent that, not like that would be hard for someone to do, and any way around DRM makes it pointless so i just annoys legitimate users
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    someone needs to teach them about screen recorders, no matter how much DRM they use they can't prevent that, not like that would be hard for someone to do, and any way around DRM makes it pointless so i just annoys legitimate users
    The current trend in DRM is
    1) Lock the bootloader
    2) Permit only approved operating systems to be installed
    3) Deny the end owner full administrative or root access
    2) Permit the installation of software only from an approved store / source
    The is the approach behind:
    The TiVo
    Game consoles. Xbox, PS3 etc,
    ebook readers, Amazon Kindle etc
    IOS devices iPod, iPhone, iPad
    Windows 8 RT and Windows 8 Modern UI
    Windows phone
    etc.
    Locked Android devices (this is a requirement for DRM) on Android
    It is also the real motivation behind the locked UEFI boot loaders in Windows 8, and the requirement for signed drivers in 64bit Windows Vista/7. Desktop Windows is in transition over time from the open Windows 98 / NT4 model to the complete lockdown in Windows 8 RT on ARM.

The idea is very simple. Do not permit software that can break the DRM to get past the censors in the store, and do not allow the end user to install their own software or software from a source that is not approved.

Free Libre Open Source Software alone is not enough for example Linux and Android or GNU/Linux before GPL v3 such as the original Tivo can still be locked down in this fashion. One needs GPL v3 code deep enough in the operating system so that root or administrative access is required to modify the GPL v3 code. Modern GNU/Linux distributions such as Ubuntu 8.x or later (and yes this includes Ubuntu phone OS!) are safe from this kind of DRM.

Freedom from this kind of DRM is far more important in my opinion than the question of free vs propriety software. For example Windows NT4 is a far freer system than a tivoized gNewSense 1.0.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you use CamStudio, it likely will record the Metro UI (not tested yet) if it can, then that's that. CamStudio doesn't require Admin rights to run. Fraps and hooking recorders do. gtk-recordmydesktop / recordmydesktop does that as well.

Hooking up a black magic HDMI input PCIe card inside your computer, then making your android phone output via HDMI into your computer will allow you to bypass DRM easy and record your videos.

So unless they remove HDMI output while playing these videos, then it's not going to help.
    Last edited by Lucradia; January 7th, 2013 at 01:39 AM.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast