Thread: useing windows network printer?

Beans

useing windows network printer?

In my house the wifey has her two pc's 1 laptop and 1 desktop running win 7 ( poor her)
    my laptop is dualbooted with win7/12.10 ubuntu. when in windows i use her laser printer wirelessly from my laptop. ( the printer is wired to her desktop) my question is how or can i use my ubuntu os to print on her printer? I cannot figure out how to see what is on the windows network and vs it cannot seem my ubuntu laptop.

P.S sorry if this is not in the right catagory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: useing windows network printer?

If the Windows printer is shared, then you should be able to connect using Samba from your Ubuntu machine.

I have had problems with Windows 7 sharing with Ubuntu in the past and needed to install Hewlett-Packard drivers for a Canon printer to connect. See http://blog.amoktech.com/ for more info.

regards

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drdos2006 View Post
    If the Windows printer is shared, then you should be able to connect using Samba from your Ubuntu machine.

I have had problems with Windows 7 sharing with Ubuntu in the past and needed to install Hewlett-Packard drivers for a Canon printer to connect. See http://blog.amoktech.com/ for more info.

regards
    I can find the drivers for my printer in the cupps printer setup. I just cant find the location of the printer/host pc on my wireless network. the pc the printer is hooked to is the main pc wired to the internet through the cable modem and wireless router. is there a program that will allow me to see a map of the windows network? will samba do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, you can use nmap. This is the sort of command.
    nmap -v -sP 192.168.0.0/24
    You may have to install nmap first with : sudo apt-get install nmap.

You may also have to connect your laptop with an ethernet cable to your router first, install the printer using the samba share, then try to connect wirelessly.

regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You should be able to click the power/cog icon in the top right of your screen, click Printers (I'm on 12.04, it may have moved in 12.10) click the small down arrow next to network printers, it may take a minute to scan the network for printers. Once the printer is found you should be able to select it and follow any onscreen instructions.

edit: You may have to select the Windows Printer via Samba option, and follow what it says. There is a browse button that allows you to browse the network for printers.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."