Thread: Multifunction color laser printers for Ubuntu 12

Beans

Multifunction color laser printers for Ubuntu 12

What are the best multifunction color laser printers for Ubuntu 12?
    The goal of this thread is to find out and discuss what people think about this issue.

Rationale: Many blogs and forums strongly recommend Brother printers, especially MFC-9970CDW. However, Brother's own web site (http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...rn.html#f00107) indicate that Brother printers don't work well under Ubuntu 12. While that web site indicates that "Brother is currently developing a solutions for Ubuntu 12.04", it's not clear when (and if) a solution will be found. Or, perhaps somebody already has a solution? If so, what is it?

Other strong competitors include:
    1. HP LaserJet Pro MFP M475dn. HP printers usually install painlessly and have no software issues under Ubuntu. However, some people complain that this particular printer is noisy, especially when going to sleep.
    2. Canon MF 8380CDW. This seems to be a reputable machine but it gets lower rankings than either Brother or HP machines above. My own experience with Canon is/was generally positive but mine is a different printer: black-and-white MF6590.

If anybody has anything to share about either one of the three foregoing contenders, or any other good candidates, pls post here.

Thanks, guys!

Beans

Brother MFC on Ubuntu 12

OK, here is some info that might be useful to Brother users:

My MFC has arrived and I installed it (both printing and scanning functions) with no particular problems with one important exception (that took me some 10 hours to debug!): While printing works through both USB2 and USB3 ports, scanning works through USB2 ports only (at least, on my PC).

Beans

Re: Multifunction color laser printers for Ubuntu 12

Printing is still the weakest link with Ubuntu IMHO as the lack of responses show on this thread.

Most will tell you to go by the compatibility lists and subsequent purchases will then work flawlessly, but I've never experienced an easy ride. For instance, my HP P1005 is supposed to have Support level as "Full" and recommendation level as "Yes" on HPLIP but invariably fails and falls over on many printing scenarios under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...jet_p1005.html

You then get advice to supply bug reports and spend hours attaching the recommended hardware and software log files, but often all to no avail - although the HPLIP developers are always polite and try to be helpful.

My old Canon Pixma 4300 (which I now only use with my Windows 7 netbook for printing directly to printable DVDs/CDs) just issued muddy colours and never behaved like it did with Windows - even after struggling for hours with Canon-specific drivers and CUPS alternatives. Nightmare. I think the only printer I've ever plug-and-played in ubuntu/Linux is an aged HP colour deskjet. But even then the colours were suspect.

I just want a wireless, networking, multifunction, affordable mono laser that I can buy off Amazon and works.

But I just don't know where to start.