Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cannot boot into Ubuntu- No ubuntu/Windows Menu selection

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Cannot boot into Ubuntu- No ubuntu/Windows Menu selection

It looks like EasyBCD is just showing the efi files in your efi partition that you can use to boot. You should see the same thing from your UEFI menu. Some UEFI do not come with the full UEFI shell but most do.

Grub then should offer to boot any efi file in the efi partition. You really should not need EasyBCD with UEFI, but I understand they have updated it to work with UEFI. Before it did not.

UEFI is a multi-boot system. It is like having many MBR's to boot from as every folder in the efi partition is another boot loader for another installed system.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I marked this thread as [SOLVED] because it primarily is. I have the regular grub menu now whenever I boot now. To anyone stuck where I was or something similar here is what I did:

- Booted Windows and opened up Easy BCD, in the Boot Order Menu I moved the Ubuntu selection to #1 and also selected it as Default (Windows 8 was the default prior to this)

- This however did not solve my problem and in fact made it worse. I was unable to load Windows

- So, I booted into my Ubuntu system, updated everything (including boot repair) and ran Boot Repair. In the options I selected the Backup and Restore EFI Files

- It must have restored some older backup I made earlier but whatever it did it worked. After I ran it (got the "Don't forget to BIOS loads from /sda2/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi!" error)

- After boot repair finished I turned off my computer and turned it back on.. No more grub rescue!! Just the regular grub menu (purple background).

- I am able to boot into Ubuntu properly but also Windows. However, when I select the UEFI Loader for Windows it takes me to a menu (it's a Boot Menu but looks like an older BIOS looking one, black and white) that has two selections: grub and Windows. It also has an option for Windows Diagnostics. AND if I press F8 on the while the cursor is on the Windows selection it takes me to a UEFI looking screen that has 9 options for running Windows, like debugging at boot, open a command prompt, and other development tools.

- But I am able to open Windows fine. I doubt anyone has a solution to this so I'll accept it as SOLVED lol

Thanks for all the help!

Beans

In case this will help someone here is a copy of my boot repair pastebin

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1561335/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345