Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ASUS USB-N13 Wireless Adapter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: ASUS USB-N13 Wireless Adapter

Should I try installing this driver he recommended? It's Linux Driver v.2.3.0.2 but was last updated in 2010. What's your opinion?
    Ladies and gentlemen, please put on your rant-resistant vests. There are two versions of the USB-N13. One is a Ralink rt200usb device and one is a Realtek rtl8192cu device. The kind person referred you to the wrong driver for the wrong device:
    RT28xx_MODE = STA

TARGET = LINUX

CHIPSET = 3070

#OS ABL - YES or NO
    OSABL = NO

ifneq ($(TARGET),THREADX)
    #RT28xx_DIR = home directory of RT28xx source code
    RT28xx_DIR = $(shell pwd)
    endif

RTMP_SRC_DIR = $(RT28xx_DIR)/RT$(CHIPSET)
    Even if that is the device you have, on any modern kernel, 'make' yields:
    /home/chili/tdshady/Linux/DPO_RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.2_20100422/os/linux/../../common/cmm_mac_usb.c:341:3: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
    /home/chili/tdshady/Linux/DPO_RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.2_20100422/os/linux/../../common/cmm_mac_usb.c:357:3: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    make[2]: *** [/home/chili/tdshady/Linux/DPO_RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.2_20100422/os/linux/../../common/cmm_mac_usb.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/chili/tdshady/Linux/DPO_RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.2_20100422/os/linux] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic'
    make: *** [LINUX] Error 2
    So their reply was less than helpful.

End rant.

Let's turn our attention to your router. Please be sure it is set to WPA2 only and not mixed mode WPA and WPA2. Please see attached.

Next, if your router is capable of N speeds please try resetting the router to B and G only and not N. You might also try different channels; I have the best luck with channel 11.

Is your ability to connect and stay connected better, worse or the same?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Haha well I'm glad I made the right decision in ignoring his advice then!! Nice.

I think you may be a genius, but so far we only have ~70% proof of this. My router was already set to WPA2 only, but I did change the channel to channel 11 as advised, and also decreased the speed from 'Up to 300 Mbps' to 'Up to 54 Mbps'. Please see attached screenshot.

Now, I got that screenshot from installing Gimp using my wifi connection and I am also posting this using my wifi connection

Here's the current situation (after changing the router settings as per your advice):

1. I booted up, and the wifi connection was immediately established. I opened web browser, no pages loading. Wifi DISCONNECTED after only a few minutes.
    2. I Shut Down.
    3. Now I started keeping a log:

22:44 Booted up
    22:44 Connection established
    22:47 Chromium page loads x 2 (on first attempt)
    22:48 Chromium trying to load page...
    22:50 Wifi DISCONNECTED
    23:05 Wifi remaining disconnected (after entering password and clicking 'Connect' a few times)
    23:05 Reboot.

4. Third boot up:

23:06 Booted up. Connection established
    23:07 Chromium page loads x 4
    23:09 Chromium trying to load page.... eventually loaded. More page loads x3+
    23:12 Begin install of Gimp from Ubuntu Software Centre, ~40MB
    23:18 DISCONNECTED. Download failed at 20MB of Gimp downloaded
    23:20 In terminal: sudo modprobe -r rtl8192cu
    23:20 In terminal: sudo modprobe rtl8192cu swenc=1
    23:21 Connection established!!
    23:21 Continue download of Gimp, now 26.1MB to go. Eventually downloaded, and installed!
    23:38 DISCONNECTED.
    23:38 In terminal: the two modprobe commands again
    23:39 Connection established!
    23:51 the time right now. Connection still established
    23:53 Scrap that. Web pages not loading. Connection still established though...
    23:55 two modprobe commands again
    23:55 Connection established, and pages loading

SO.............. this method seems ok, but not very desirable. Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I am as close to uttering an impure word as I have been since I last looked at my Visa bill. I have several thoughts.

#I wonder if this is a 64-bit issue. I'd be very interested to burn a 32-bit live CD and see if the behavior is the same, better or worse.

#Here is a long thread that ended when the poster gave up on the native Linux driver and loaded ndiswrapper; the result was:
    HAIL TO THE CONQUERING HERO! Chili you are the man!! Wifi is working like a charm now.
    ^^^I love the sound of that! Please see posts 46 and following. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...cu+ndiswrapper

#I'd consider investing $10-15 in a known working USB device.

Please let me know how you'd like to proceed; I'll be very happy to assist.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Ah, well we can rule out the 64-bit issue as a possibility, because I had originally been trying on 32-bit, with exactly the same problem. I actually uninstalled 32-bit and installed 64-bit because I thought it might help (which as we both know, it didn't).

Thanks for all your assistance with this. I agree with the last thing you said - I am going to grab myself a hammer and go to town on this ASUS N-13 wifi usb. Then I'm going to go buy the longest ethernet cable I can find, and use that to connect to the internet FTW.

Thanks for everything chili555 I do really appreciate it!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123