Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ASUS USB-N13 Wireless Adapter

Beans

Re: ASUS USB-N13 Wireless Adapter

Thanks chili555!!! Yes, seems I got excited too quickly... I only got it working for a few minutes, then it drops out again and the same problem persists

Here is the output of:

lsb_release -d
    Code:
    Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
    lsmod | grep 8192
    Code:
    rtl8192cu              72761  0 
    rtl8192c_common        49512  1 rtl8192cu
    rtlwifi                76086  1 rtl8192cu
    mac80211              555198  3 rtl8192cu,rtl8192c_common,rtlwifi
    lsusb
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0bb4:0fb4 High Tech Computer Corp. 
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0b05:17ab ASUSTek Computer, Inc. 
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
    Thank you so much for your assistance!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Your process above is seriously flawed; however, there is an easier way to install an updated driver. Please get a temporary wired ethernet connection and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-precise-generic
    Reboot and let us have your report.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Ok, I did that, here is what happened:

Code:
    tiff:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-precise-generic[sudo] password for tiff: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.2.0-38-generic linux-image-3.2.0-38-generic
    Suggested packages:
      fdutils linux-doc-3.2.0 linux-source-3.2.0 linux-tools
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.2.0-38-generic
      linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-precise-generic linux-image-3.2.0-38-generic
    0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 61 not upgraded.
    Need to get 41.4 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 160 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Get:1 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main linux-image-3.2.0-38-generic amd64 3.2.0-38.61 [38.5 MB]
    Get:2 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.2.0-38-generic amd64 3.2.0-38.25 [2,892 kB]
    Get:3 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-precise-generic amd64 3.2.0.38.46 [2,674 B]
    Fetched 41.4 MB in 1min 17s (534 kB/s)                                         
    Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-3.2.0-38-generic.
    (Reading database ... 141342 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking linux-image-3.2.0-38-generic (from .../linux-image-3.2.0-38-generic_3.2.0-38.61_amd64.deb) ...
    Done.
    Selecting previously unselected package linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.2.0-38-generic.
    Unpacking linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.2.0-38-generic (from .../linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.2.0-38-generic_3.2.0-38.25_amd64.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-precise-generic.
    Unpacking linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-precise-generic (from .../linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-precise-generic_3.2.0.38.46_amd64.deb) ...
    Setting up linux-image-3.2.0-38-generic (3.2.0-38.61) ...
    Running depmod.
    update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
    Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.0-38-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-38-generic
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-38-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.2.0-38-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-38-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 3.2.0-38-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-38-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 3.2.0-38-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-38-generic
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-23-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-23-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-38-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-38-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    done
    Setting up linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.2.0-38-generic (3.2.0-38.25) ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-38-generic
    Setting up linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-precise-generic (3.2.0.38.46) ...
    I then rebooted, but no cigar. The wifi is still trying to connect, then asking for the password. Upon startup, little window/notification popped up saying it was disconnected from the wifi network.

What to try next?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Let's try a driver parameter:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r rtl8192cu
    sudo modprobe rtl8192cu swenc=1
    Now will it connect and stay? If so, we'll need to write one quick file to make it persistent.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Unhappy Re: ASUS USB-N13 Wireless Adapter

Oh god. I now have an entirely new problem.

I did the two sudo modprobes, and straight away I could see that the connection was established, and appeared to be stable. I then opened my web browser, but couldn't load anything (i.e. internet not working). I decided to reboot. The time between typing the two commands and rebooting was only a few minutes, so I didn't really get to see any hard evidence that it would connect and stay, but it did appear that way (since it was dropping out much quicker than that beforehand).

Unfortunately now Ubuntu is booting into terminal mode, and I can't get the GUI back up I have tried "startx", but this just brings up the standard Ubuntu desktop background and nothing else. I also tried going to /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf, but when I open it in vi, the DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL is already =2, so I'm confused. That's the one that's supposed to load the GUI, right?

Ahhhhh

Beans

OK, I found a horrible, horrible work around. If I reboot many times in a row, it eventually boots with the GUI. Any better suggestions?

The wifi is connected, and the connection is stable. I've left it for some time now and it hasn't dropped out - so that's good.

However, my ability to actually use the internet (for web browsing) is not very stable. Whether pages load or not seems completely arbitrary. I am using the same wifi network on my Windows laptop right now as I write this, which is working fine, so it's not a network problem... just seems that the connection is working intermittently, although the connection is *not* dropping out and is stable.

Ok SCRAP THAT. Just disconnected!! Was probably only connected for ~15 minutes. Longest time so far, but still dropping out now it's asking for my password... not this again...

I am scared to restart or shutdown now, in fear of losing my GUI again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

After you rebooted, did you re-apply the driver parameter?
    Code:
    If it helps, we'll write a file to make it persistent.

As to your GUI issue, I am not very experienced in such things. You might get some assistance on General Help: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331 You might find some clues in here:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

Beans

No, I didn't re-apply the driver parameter.

Just started up again, and reapplied the driver parameter. Something weird is happening - it's connected, and the connection appears stable (for the last 20 minutes now!), but I can't actually browse the net. Pages aren't loading. Very weird.

Any ideas?

It's past 1am here now, off to bed and try again tomorrow ...the never ending battle!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

See you tomorrow.

Beans

I'm still having the same issues. I am now doing

Code:
    everytime I boot up. It's now not even trying to connect, it's just disconnected. When I click to try and connect, it tries, but then it just says "disconnected".

I had emailed ASUS about it, and just got a reply back today:

Dear Valued Customer,
    Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Service.

Sorry for the inconvenience. First please reinstall driver for a try:
    http://support.asus.com.cn/download....xR0Z80mE7HdVKx

And may i confirm this product Wireless USB-N13 can work normal in another computer or not?
    If convenient, please check it can work in others operating system.
    Thank you for understanding!
    Thank you for your support Asus product. Wish you have a good day.

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Later you may receive a satisfaction questionnaire for this service.
    Trouble you again with this rating (1 is poor ; 10 is excellent ; 7 or greater than 7 means “satisfied”), in order to provide better service for you.
    Best regards
    Stephen
    ASUS service center

Should I try installing this driver he recommended? It's Linux Driver v.2.3.0.2 but was last updated in 2010. What's your opinion? Don't want to keep stuffing around with different things in case I'm making it worse

____
    Update: Ok, if I boot up and *don't* do the two modprobe commands, it says it's connected, and it doesn't seem to be dropping out. But just like last night, it's not actually connected to the internet - I cannot download or install things, and can't browse the web.

____
    Update 2: WOW! So after half an hour of refreshing Chromium every few minutes or so, it randomly actually loaded a page!!! Only one page though. Tried to navigate somewhere else, and no cigar again. So it IS connecting to the internet SOMETIMES. Barely, just barely. The connection has not, I repeat not (!), dropped out this entire time! Small wins here and there...

____
    Update 3: Ok, so ~50 minutes in, and the wifi has disconnected itself. Asking for password over and over again now, trying to connect but not connecting (same old chestnut).
    Last edited by tdshady; March 5th, 2013 at 11:45 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast