Thread: zfs-fuse gone crazy, won't export, won't destroy pool

Beans

zfs-fuse gone crazy, won't export, won't destroy pool

tl;dr zfs-fuse wont export nor destory my pool claiming 'busy', even when it's disks are used by mdadm raid!

So I had 4x3tb drives that I created a raidz pool on it for some temporary testing. When done, I was unable to export or destroy my pool

# zpool export -f rstoreb1
    cannot export 'rstoreb1': pool is busy
    # zpool destroy -f rstoreb1
    cannot destroy 'rstoreb1': pool is busy

I can find nothing using it with lsof -n nor with ps -ef nor with fuser.

At this point I'm annoyed, and stop it with /etc/init.d/zfs-fuse stop

I partition the 4x3tb drives with parted, and create my raid with mdadm, and then create filesystem with mkfs.ext4, and mounted,

At this point mdadm is creating the raid, the new raid is mounted and I can copy files to it just fine.

I do a final reboot to make sure everything boots well and mounts well ... and low and behold ... zfs-fuse starts with boot, and mounts rstoreb1 again !

/dev/md127 7.9T 1.7G 7.9T 1% /extra/mdstore2
    rstoreb1 8.1T 8.0T 89G 99% /extra/rstoreb1

these two raids are using the same hard drives !!

zpool stays it's healthy (i copied a 1gb file to the md127 raid device that shares the same disks with zfs raidz)

# zpool status
    pool: rstoreb1
    state: ONLINE
    scrub: resilver completed after 0h0m with 0 errors on Sat Jan 5 17:55:15 2013
    config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
    rstoreb1 ONLINE 0 0 0
    raidz1-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
    disk/by-id/wwn-0x5000c5004e5454fe ONLINE 0 0 0
    disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F16Q3S ONLINE 0 0 0 10K resilvered
    disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F16QB0 ONLINE 0 0 0
    disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F16QDX ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

at this point I am confused. I like fuse-zfs and I want to (need to) continue using it with my external e-sata drives but this internal set of disks I want mdadm, and zfs just won't let go.

How can I coax zfs to nicely let go of this volume?

# dpkg -l | grep zfs
    ii zfs-fuse 0.6.9-1build1 ZFS on FUSE

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS.

note: I had uninstalled nfs-kernel-server at one point, and reading that it might be necessary I just reinstalled it (didn't start it), but I still can't destroy or export pool rstoreb1.

Any ideas? Thanks so much !!

mrluohua

edit: change zfs-kernel-server to nfs-kernel-server. There is no zfs-kernel-server, I typo'd it. I meant nfs.
    Last edited by mrluohua; January 6th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: zfs-fuse gone crazy, won't export, won't destroy pool

How much RAM do you have?

Code:
    free
    Bad things happen in zfs when you are low on RAM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

about 1gb free

# free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 4026 3040 986 0 103 2522
    -/+ buffers/cache: 413 3613
    Swap: 1906 0 1906

edit: formatting

Beans

I should add that I've rebooted 2x and stopped/started zfs-fuse multiple times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have zfs running on my freenas home server, and I recall reading that you need 1 GB per TB of disk space. You have 12 TB running on a 4 GB machine. Perhaps you should monitor the RAM to see what is going on.

Also, uninstalling and reinstalling a zfs-enabled kernel AND expecting your pools to continue to exist is expecting a lot. ZFS was developed under BSD. It has some neat features (like being 128-bit, which means HUGE file system sizes). I don't know how stable zfs is under linux.

It sounds like zfs has striped your internal drives, which might require a wipe to remove the striping to get zfs to release them. It's also possible that a bad interaction with mdadm and zfs on the same devices caused a partition table problem. The data is still there and the RAID is intact, but the pool architecture is messed up in a nontrivial way.

Running the system with and without the zfs kernel may have contributed to the problem. I don't know what else to say. Proceed carefully.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Running the system with and without the zfs kernel may have contributed to the problem. I don't know what else to say. Proceed carefully.
    Sorry, I had a horrible typo, which I just corrected in my main post. I removed the "nfs-kernel-server" package... nfs, not zfs.

I read in some post somewhere that the zfs-fuse made use of the nfs-kernel-server which is why I re-installed it.

As an aside, the 4 x 3tb raidz 'temp' setup worked great for about 2 weeks. I was moving data around and I filled it all the way up, swapped hardware, and then moved my data back. Worked wonderfully.

It almost seems like a bug with the specific version of zfs that I have. All I want to do is export/destroy it. Why does it say 'busy'? ps / lsof / fuser tell me that it's not busy. Just confusing.

Anyway, thanks for your advice !!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think it says busy because it is trying the read and understand the zfs partitioning scheme and it is messed up in a nontrivial way. nfs-kernel-server is a support package for the NFS (network file system) an older, unix-based network file sharing protocol--before SAMBA and Windows sharing.

According to:

tgalati4@Dell600m-mint14 ~ $ apt-cache depends zfs-fuse
    zfs-fuse
    Depends: libaio1
    Depends: libc6
    Depends: libfuse2
    Depends: libssl1.0.0
    Depends: zlib1g
    Depends: fuse
    Depends: lsb-base
    Suggests: nfs-kernel-server
    Suggests: kpartx

It's not a required package, just a suggested one, probably to allow you to share a zfs pool over NFS. So removing that package should not effect the operation of zfs pools.

So to summarize:

1. You built and operated a 12 TB zfs pool and moved data around at it seemed to function OK for 2 weeks. Hardware is probably OK.

2. You were finished playing around with zfs so you decided to use the same drives for software RAID pool using mdadm. You repartitioned them (wiped them) and created ext4 partitions and formatted them with mkfs.ext4. You used parted, which I believe has no support for zfs (at least gparted doesn't have support in 12.10). So there may be remnants of the zfs pool striping on the drives that zfs can read, but parted did not erase.

3. ZFS detects the striping of the drives, or a configuration file and is trying to read them resulting in busy. Mdadm shows the current RAID with ext4.

I'm not familiar with the zfs-fuse package, but from the name, I assume that this is a user-space zfs mount tool that allows users to make and mount zfs pools. Because it is user-space and not kernel-space, there are probably configuration files stored somewhere, like ~/.zfs perhaps? Try finding and deleting those configuration files. There might be files in /etc/zfs.

Try removing the zfs-fuse package. If you are not going to use zfs, then remove it. This assumes that you have no other zfs pools that you need access to.

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove zfs-fuse
    sudo apt-get purge zfs-fuse
    The second one removes configuration files as well as removes the package.

Beans

@tgalati4 thanks so much for the ideas.

Indeed, repartitioning and doing a newfs did not overlap where zfs writes it's metadata. The only real problem here is with ZFS and the inability to 'export' something, claiming it's busy, even when it is most certainly not busy. (many reboots, restarts, etc, fuser/lsof/etc). After reading, I think it's an issue/bug with the version of zfs I'm using.

[aside] Unfortunately I still use zfs with external esata. Archiving media off to dvd-r became too slow and too small, so I started getting cheap 500gb HD and creating external (esata) raidz (raid5) using zfs. 1.5tb useable. When it was filled, I'd catalog it, label the drives (raidset01, raidset02, etc) and put them on the shelf and get 4 new drives. Zfs works amazing well for this. [/aside]

What I finally did was
    * stop zfs daemon
    * using dd, overwrite first 10mb and last 10mb of the disk (if=/dev/zero, etc)
    * start zfs daemon; no metadata signature, no problem.
    * re-partition, re-init mdadm raid, re-newfs, all good

So I learned some stuff in the process and I'm back in action.

Thanks again everyone fot the help!!

MrLuoHua

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Excellent. Since parted does not (yet) have zfs support, it has no way of knowing how to handle it. Wiping the front and back of the drive is a brute force way to do it, but hey, if it works, then more power to you.

Normally RAID is not used as a backup scheme, but you managed to find a way. It would be helpful for you to document your experiences to those who maintain the parted source code. A simple algorithm to read the ZFS striping and a warning to the user before overwriting would be helpful. This would help others avoid a similar problem in the future. Gparted has a nice table of file system support, but zfs is not included and needs to be.