Thread: software center

Beans

software center

Hi there all,
    I have got Xubuntu 10.10 on my older laptop and tonite I noticed that I cant download any programs. I read a couple of different things.
    Some were saying it's a bug and perhaps can be fixed and others said that 10.10 is old and needs updating to 12 to get the software center going again.
    I tried using a diffent server with no luck and also sudo apt-get install from a terminal does not work either, it starts but says it cant find the package.

Can any one help please
    Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: software center

Quote Originally Posted by Agent26 View Post
    Hi there all,
    I have got Xubuntu 10.10 on my older laptop and tonite I noticed that I cant download any programs. I read a couple of different things.
    Some were saying it's a bug and perhaps can be fixed and others said that 10.10 is old and needs updating to 12 to get the software center going again.
    I tried using a diffent server with no luck and also sudo apt-get install from a terminal does not work either, it starts but says it cant find the package.

Can any one help please
    Thank you.
    The update to 12.04 or 12.10 is not a bad idea. Personally i use 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hi , well as offgridguy said, xubuntu 10.10 release is no longer supported so perhaps the best thing to do would be to download 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

10.10 has reached end-of-life (quite some time ago!). Install 12.04 LTS, supported until 2017. LTS will upgrade to the next LTS release in a couple of clicks. Interim releases need to be upgraded from one release to the next (until you get to an LTS which can go to the next LTS).

You will not get security updates (or anyupdates) for 10.10 and this will leave your machine vulnerable.

Beans

Hi there all, thanks for the reply's.
    Well if that's the word then that's what I will do.
    I will miss 10.10 though.

thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, the major difference is Unity. You could always try Xubuntu 12.04 LTS if you don't like it. Many have.

Beans

I think I will go for 10.4 LTS, I quite like the look of the bottom panel that is now a launcher.
    This year I am going to attempt to going to learn how to use terminal in detail so hopefully I can add some help/tips myself soon.
    Thanks again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

10.04 LTS is terrific and stable but runs out of support April this year so hardly worth it. You will find yourself in the same situation in three months (that LTS was only three years but LTS support has changed to five years with 12.04 LTS). I wouldn't go there.

(PS: You don't need to be a coding guru to be of assistance here. You can help by sharing your experience by posting when you think that experience might help others. )
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 5th, 2013 at 11:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

good luck Agent26 if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to post them