Thread: Angry IP Scanner

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unhappy Angry IP Scanner

I found a cool tool on SourceForge called Angry IP Scanner (located here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipscan/). I downloaded and installed via Ubuntu Software Center dialogue option. My objective was to enable my ability to see what devices are currently connected to the home network.

When I attempted to open the app, I got a dialogue that reads, "Failed to load native code. Probably you are using a binary build for wrong OS or CPU - try downloading both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries." Okay. Fine.

My thinking is to remove the app and find the correct one. Problem is, the app doesn't show up in my "Installed" within Software-Center. In Dash, I can alt-click the app and see the "Launch" option, but not the "Uninstall" option.

I'm a tad concerned at the lack of ability to remove the app via gui. (I have to rely on it as my CLI skills are still in development). I could use a helpful hand in locating the app and removing it.

Honestly, I'm trying not to be overly paranoid about this... Advice will be helpful also...

Thanks in advance.

iMac71 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: Uh-oh...?

you might try to proceed as follows:
    - open a Terminal window and type in it (or copy from here and paste in it) the following command:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /var/log/apt/history.log
    - after that the file has been loaded in gedit, press [CTRL]-[F] and type in the search field at least some letters of the name of the application you're looking for
    - when the name has been highlighted, go back to the Terminal window and type (or, again, copy from here and paste in it) the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge -y application && sudo apt-get autoremove -y
    where application has to be replaced by the name of application you wish to remove.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Uh-oh...?

Quote Originally Posted by iMac71 View Post
    you might try to proceed as follows:
    - open a Terminal window and type in it (or copy from here and paste in it) the following command:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /var/log/apt/history.log
    - after that the file has been loaded in gedit, press [CTRL]-[F] and type in the search field at least some letters of the name of the application you're looking for
    - when the name has been highlighted, go back to the Terminal window and type (or, again, copy from here and paste in it) the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge -y application && sudo apt-get autoremove -y
    where application has to be replaced by the name of application you wish to remove.
    Got it! I actually ended up having a simultaneous "a-ha!" and "oh, duh!" -moment as I read your reply. I removed it via Synaptic. I checked the refreshed history log and it looks like it's completely gone now.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help and knowledge sharing.