Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 can't get 1920x1200

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10 can't get 1920x1200

Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu 12.10 and it boots in '1995' 1024x768 mode.
    In display settings there is only 1024 and no 1920x1200 option.
    I have a Nvidia GT220 card.
    I don't want to poke in xorg files.
    I am using the default Nouveau driver (is it real nouveau?) and i tried the Nvidia driver in the software center with no luck.
    How can i change the resolution?
    Please say it is possible (easy).

thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 can't get 1920x1200

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Kingdom View Post
    Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu 12.10 and it boots in '1995' 1024x768 mode.
    In display settings there is only 1024 and no 1920x1200 option.
    I have a Nvidia GT220 card.
    I don't want to poke in xorg files.
    I am using the default Nouveau driver (is it real nouveau?) and i tried the Nvidia driver in the software center with no luck.
    How can i change the resolution?
    Please say it is possible (easy).

thank you.
    I have a GeForce 210 (GT218), for me the only driver that worked in Quantal is nvidia-current-updates. Once you've got that installed, press the Super key and type nv, then run Nvidia Xserver Settings to set your resolution.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 can't get 1920x1200

With 12.10 I had to install the kernel headers first, then nVidia correctly installed. Example below is with nvidia-current and settings, but I also installed the nvidia-current-updates and settings updates. Versions must be consistent.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081649

# You may need headers - meta package for current version:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    # only reason to purge is there are several versions, if you know you have different nVidia use that:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    sudo reboot

May want nvidia-current, nvidia-current-updates or nvidia-current-experimental-XXX for most recent testing version.
    apt-cache search nvidia-sett*

Fix for nVidia with 12.10 missing kernel dpkg reconfigure:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2072862
    Last edited by oldfred; November 26th, 2012 at 01:48 AM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Angry Re: Ubuntu 12.10 can't get 1920x1200

I would love for someone to get on Nvidia's case about not supporting 1920x1200 on multiple (e.g. second) monitors. I have gone back and forth with one of Nvidia's engineers, who, in the end, just said their newest video cards and drivers did not have multi-monitor support for 1920x1200. He said he would look into fixing it, but does not answer any of my posts to the case number of my problem report. I have two different 1920x1200 monitors. Both monitors work fine on an old Dell M90 with an FX2500M. Both also work fine on an older desktop. I have an newer Alienware with a pair of GTX460M but it does not drive the 1920x1200 monitors properly. The Nvidia control panel recognizes the 1920x1200, but overscans the monitors. I have to set the Nvidia control panel to "scale" the size down so that I can see everything that I'm supposed to see (i.e. to all the screen edges). I also have a newer desktop with a pair of GTX570. Again, neither monitor works. I know the monitors are fine because they work with older Nvidia cards. The scaling is lousy and causes letters to have a morey pattern that gets lighter and darkers as you drag a window around on the screen. Poor poor, poor, yet Nvidia has not fixed it for several years now! I always do a complete fresh install with each new rev of their drivers, but to no avail. I'm on It's still busted. I'm using rev 310.90. If anyone has some fix for this, I am all ears. Thanks!
    John