Thread: I would prefer Ubuntu tablet

Beans

I would prefer Ubuntu tablet

Ubuntu Phone is a fantastic project, and I hope it will succeed brilliantly.

I have also high hopes for Ubuntu Tablet. I am annoyed with my iPad, because I cannot do normal computer-like things like file management and home networking with it.

So I would very much prefer a tablet that had wide ranging capabilities, preferably just like any Ubuntu computer.

In fact I could wait longer for a Ubuntu Phone. Tablet is what I need more urgently.

But perhaps it is just me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans

Re: I would prefer Ubuntu tablet

Ubuntu phone opens a wealth of exciting possibilities and in 12 months a Ubuntu tablet will sit very well along the phone a Ubuntu desktop.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Ubuntu phone opens a wealth of exciting possibilities and in 12 months a Ubuntu tablet will sit very well along the phone a Ubuntu desktop.
    A beefed-up Asus Padfone-like device would be wonderful for Ubuntu.
    Voila! The best of all worlds.

Padfone 2: http://www.asus.com/Mobile/PadFone2/
    Last edited by MyTinFoilHat; January 6th, 2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: included link to mentioned product

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by gefalu2008 View Post
    So I would very much prefer a tablet that had wide ranging capabilities, preferably just like any Ubuntu computer.
    I, too, would have preferred a tablet. "Wide ranging capabilities" migh take a while though, Before the iPad was released, people were willing to pay $1000 dollars because they were expecting to have OS X on a tablet. iOS and its apps are getting more capable, but it takes quite some time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu in its present state wouldn't play nice with the tablet form factor, but if they can make the present app suite translate over to the new interface without changing their code directly, then all that needs to happen is some recompiling for ARM. So the functionality and apps won't be the gradual part; it'll just be Ubuntu on the tablet all at once, with only closed-source apps needing porting, while the interface for the OS and apps make a slow crawl toward not being painful on a touchscreen.

MyTinFoilHat, the fact that Padfone 2 isn't compatible with the Transformer keyboard dock is a crime. (Then add Ubuntu for Android.) = )