Thread: iTunes Server

Beans

iTunes Server

I know iTunes can be run using Wine, but it can be a bit flakey from what I hear. What I want to do though is just create an ITunes server, so something that can serve iTunes content to an Apple TV.

Is there either A) a solid way of running iTunes on Ubuntu, or B) a hacky way of making Ubuntu serve content to an Apple TV?

Cheers.

Beans

Re: iTunes Server

Theres a couple different ways.

You could run windows xp in a small VM and with guest additions installed load your media to itunes. Keeps 1 copy of your music, and you can give it its own network card too for faster networking.

Or you could get vuze plus. It can transode and share to tons of media devices, apple tv, xbox, roku. Vuze is a java app so it works on all operating systems that can java, linux included.

I'm sure theres more ways, free and open source , but here's two solid ways ive done before.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Seeing as Apple Tv is closed source, there isn't much we can do about it.

It may be a better idea to modify Apple TV to be able to use all your different media types.

Have a look at this howto, it involves installing XBMC on your Apple TV device.

Beans

That would be the most ideal method but cant be used on the latest apple tv 3.

Beans

Thanks for the replies. The Windows VM method was one that I had in the back of my mind, yeah. May just go for that.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Not sure what VM environment you are using, but I have a similar setup using Citrix XenServer. My windows VM had no sound hardware so I installed Virtual Audio Cable.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans

I'm assuming, because no-one even comes close to mentioning them, that DAAPD and all its variants and forks (forked-daapd, mt-daapd, firefly2 etc.) are still dead as a dodo? A cursory search of the web indicates this to be the case, but before creating another thread on the same topic, I thought I'd better respond here first.

Having to use either Windows XP in a VM or purchase a subscription to Vuze Plus seems a massive step backwards. Were Apple just making things too difficult?
    Dell Latitude D830, 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD, Gigabit LAN

Beans

Forked-daapd indeed is pretty dead - the developer retired and so its an orphaned project. Some people (including me) have patched versions which don't break as often but it still crashes far too often (but with my patches at least it only takes a few seconds to restart)