Thread: Ubuntu and Turbocad

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Ubuntu and Turbocad

I am currently considering getting out of Windows and flirting with Linux (currently Ubuntu is the lead player) Unfortunately I have been doing a lot of work in TurboCAD Designer (V11) I therefore need to port my *.tcw files to be opened, read, worked on by a Linux (Ubuntu) based system.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and Turbocad

There's a program called Lx-Viewer that can handle those files. Perhaps you can also try exporting them in other file formats while in windows to give yourself some options?

Beans

Also had stumbled across this detailed list of options.

Beans

Thanks for the infomation remarks999
    I'll give a few a go with some unimportant files.

Cheers

Jak cuttle

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As much of a Linux enthusiast as I am, I must admit that CAD is an area where you are going to find your Linux options awfully limited. I'm surprised that your specific stumble is .tcw files; the vast majority of problems in the CAD world arise from that 800-pound gorilla, AutoCAD, and their .dwg files. Linux-space has already vastly improved in this area from my day when there simply were no options, so that CAD meant Windows, end-of-discussion. These days, there are all sorts of file converters, and some Linux CAD apps will draw and output to .dwg files. The insurmountable problem is that these are not absolutely reliable.

There are already scads of users who complain about LibreOffice formatting .doc files with slight variations to MSWord. Often, these complaints amount to picking nits, although there are times when varying formats do present a problem (in publishing for example). But this is nothing compared to the CAD world. A shifted linebreak doesn't kill anyone; a beam that's out by a couple of inches very well might. And since drafting output has to also be field scalable, Linux plotting accuracy (or inaccuracy) is another pain in the neck. I've considerable experience with this in my past life, and it kills me to say it, but you would probably be better off sticking with Windows when it comes to CAD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Last edited by DuckHook; January 5th, 2013 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Deleted duplicate post

Beans

You may also want to look at installing VirtualBox on Linux and install your OS that you use to run TurboCad on it. This is what I do. I have one program that I need for work that I run on XP that runs under VirtualBox in the host Linux. Actually, there is a commercial program almost identical to the one I use that is made for Linux, but haven't got the bucks to buy it yet. Works out fine though. I use VB for that one program, Linux for everything else.