Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu reinstall - /home format unchecked - still formatted

Beans

Ubuntu reinstall - /home format unchecked - still formatted

Hey there!

I just did a fresh re-install due to some upgrade issues.
    My partitions were as follows /home - / - /swap
    I checked to format the / partition. /home partition was NOT set to format but it did anyway.

Most of the files are just normal files that I can get again with time, so that's not really a problem. But there was some documents that were really important. Is there any possible way - or any program that might be able to get me some of my documents back??

Thanking you

K.m
    - In the Service of General Cuckoo -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu reinstall - /home format unchecked - still formatted

It is very possible that you can get a lot of stuff back. I can't tell you how exactly. I think the program dd can do it, but I am not sure.

What is really important is to stop using the drive immediately. Every write operation to the drive reduces your chances of getting things back.

If this is your only computer, you have the option of booting into the live environment to get into the internet and discuss the problem here. You must have an install CD or USB if you just did a re-install. You should be able to unplug the drive and still boot the computer from the live CD or USB. I have done this with my desktop.
    Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    It is very possible that you can get a lot of stuff back. I can't tell you how exactly. I think the program dd can do it, but I am not sure.

What is really important is to stop using the drive immediately. Every write operation to the drive reduces your chances of getting things back.

If this is your only computer, you have the option of booting into the live environment to get into the internet and discuss the problem here. You must have an install CD or USB if you just did a re-install. You should be able to unplug the drive and still boot the computer from the live CD or USB. I have done this with my desktop.
    I'm using a netbook, that's one of the main reasons why I had nowhere to put the documents. I do though have a 4GB Mp3
    How does dd work? I see it's command based, and has no GUI
    To be more precise, I just want the information that was in my Documents folder.
    K.m
    Last edited by kabukiM0n0; January 5th, 2013 at 12:41 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Two other tools are testdisk and photorec

http://www.cgsecurity.org/

But as audiomick already wrote: don't run the computer booted from this internal drive. Shut it down as soon as possible and boot a live session from a CD/DVD/USB drive, if it's your only computer.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kabukiM0n0 View Post
    I'm using a netbook, that's one of the main reasons why I had nowhere to put the documents. I do though have a 4GB Mp3
    How does dd work? I see it's command based, and has no GUI
    To be more precise, I just want the information that was in my Documents folder.
    K.m
    I think photorec might do the job. Do you remember what file format it was? odt, doc, ... ? But it is a bit messy. odt files are actually zipped, so I think you find them looking for zip files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I think photorec might do the job. Do you remember what file format it was? odt, doc, ... ? But it is a bit messy. odt files are actually zipped, so I think you find them looking for zip files.
    There .odt .doc and .jpg
    I'm currently superblocking with testdisk - see if this gives any results.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kabukiM0n0 View Post
    There .odt .doc and .jpg
    I'm currently superblocking with testdisk - see if this gives any results.
    Good luck with testdisk!

And if no luck, use the last resort, photorec. It works as long as the data is there on the drive. It needs no file system, but recognizes where files begin and end using typical byte sequences in the data. Recovery of .odt .doc and .jpg is included in photorec, but you have problems if a file is fragmented.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

having preserved /home (and other) partitions on many systems, including a few at work, while re-installing through having the /home folder on its own partition or drive I am rather curious how your reinstallation lost yours this time you did it.

One quick way I can see to ditch your home folder is if it was encrypted before and you took none of the necessary steps to preserve it or if you chose for it to be encrypted this time.

Sorry I don't think of any better solution than those already offered to you at this point but would you mind telling me if encryption is involved in your current loss? If you were previously using an encrypted folder then without the recovery key the data is extremely likely lost with extreme difficulty for recovery.
    Last edited by robsoles; January 5th, 2013 at 01:16 AM. Reason: remove the bit I was just repeating a friend's advice really.
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    .Zip files are starting to appear! one question though, PhotoRec is creating hundreds of recup_dir. folders, not even half way through and there's over 150 mainly full of junk. Is there a quick way to sort them? or is that where the painstaking forensic work comes into play?

Thank ever so much anyway. To you and the first guy as well!

K.m

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by urwhtiwnt View Post
    hello, this is my 1st time in this forum. i just have a question. is it easy to move from ubuntu to linux mint? i like ubuntu 10.10 and i have KDE, LXCE XCFE, kubuntu openbox, and someother weird stuff but i can no longer get updates since it is no longer supported by the ubuntu community. OR is anyone willing to help me protect it from viruses and all that cuz i believe it is not accepting clamtk or the clamav or else. we can even use team viewer. im sorry, im still trying to learn LINUX
    (1) considered Ubuntu 10.04 or 12.04? - both are long term support releases.

(2) Starting your own thread with an even more relevant title to your problem will serve you heaps better.
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast