Thread: Ubuntu sys admin manual

Beans

Ubuntu sys admin manual

Hi, I am a windows user(for quite sometime) and I have recently installed Ubuntu 12.10. But I have fairly good knowledge about SCO unix.

Please someone point me to ubuntu 12.10 sys admin manual?

My aim is to understand

* How the filesystem is organised (i.e., system files, program files etc)?

* How the process are organised (i.e., init, cron etc)

* Where the individual user profiles are stored and how to configure them?

* How to make a program available to all users and/or how to prevent a program accessible by all users?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Ubuntu sys admin manual

AFAIK there's no sysadmin "manual". Linux is far too big and disparate to be contained in a manual. Please be aware that, unlike Windows or even SCO UNIX, Linux is a community effort. I always liken it to the world's largest and most complicated community garden. You'll find a lot of gardeners (read: gurus) who have been doing it for a long time and have become a world authority on, say, potatoes, and you'll find some who know about pest resistance like it's nobody's business, but I don't know of anyone who knows the whole thing. Even the high priests like Linus Torvalds and RMS don't know everything--it's grown so far beyond what they started.

Generally, I find that there are three ways to learn Linux:

1. The highly structured way (reading books, taking courses, etc). A good place to start is here and here.
    2. The less structured way (the man pages, separate guides, howtos, etc.) A good place for that is here.
    3. The hippy way (cruising forums, asking questions, picking up bits and pieces). Can't point you to any specific resources (other than this forum) because it's mostly a process of osmosis.

It depends on your learning style. I subscribe to a combination of 2 and 3. But then, I'm retired and have the time to treat it as a hobby.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by venkinag View Post
    Hi, I am a windows user(for quite sometime) and I have recently installed Ubuntu 12.10. But I have fairly good knowledge about SCO unix.

My aim is to understand

* How to make a program available to all users and/or how to prevent a program accessible by all users?

Thanks.
    http://aplawrence.com/Linux/scolindiff.html
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by venkinag View Post

As @DuckHook has pointed out there is no centralized manual of "Linux". The various projects that make up a particular distro (i.e. Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Arch) should have documentation. For Ubuntu you might try here. It really helps to learn how to search on the various subjects (key words) for information.

My aim is to understand

Search on Linux File System Hierarchy

Start with the the various man (manual pages) This will give you some idea on what to search for.
    Code:
    man cron

man init

In the users home directory. They are hidden files (preceded with a dot (.) )

The traditional way is with file permissions. See
    Code:
    man chmod
    man chown
    It will help for you to learn the basic commands available at the CLI. See here.

Again @DuckHook is right. No one ever learns everything in Linux. Pick the parts that you are interested in and start your Google searching. Good Luck!

Beans
    Hidden!