Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Problem with multiple NIC's on server

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Problem with multiple NIC's on server

    Quote Originally Posted by spynappels View Post
    Could you explain the reasoning behind this a little further? Is it because of bandwidth reasons on each interface? If it is, another solution would be to use Link Aggregation to bond several interfaces into one bonded interface capable of greater bandwidth. It does require a LA capable switch, but most enterprise switches are.
    There are many synonims, but the so called static bonding doesn't require a switch that supports the dynamic LACP protocol. It will simply be bunch of ports acting as one.

    I agree that if this is for bandwith, bonding is the way to do it. Otherwise it makes no sense having IPs from the same subnet on two ports.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBonding

    PS EDIT: To complement my post, it would still require a switch that support static LA but even ancient switches support this, even the ones not supporting LACP.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vanløse, Denmark
    Beans
    39
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Problem with multiple NIC's on server

    Quote Originally Posted by NigelRen View Post
    Which is what I was saying - eth0 is your main route out.

    OK - so what are you trying to achieve by unplugging the cables? Is this just curiosity or are you trying to achieve something with it?
    No, I wasn't trying to achieve anything. It was by pure coincidence that I discovered that both addresses where unresponsive when I unplugged one cable.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vanløse, Denmark
    Beans
    39
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Problem with multiple NIC's on server

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    There are many synonims, but the so called static bonding doesn't require a switch that supports the dynamic LACP protocol. It will simply be bunch of ports acting as one.

    I agree that if this is for bandwith, bonding is the way to do it. Otherwise it makes no sense having IPs from the same subnet on two ports.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBonding

    PS EDIT: To complement my post, it would still require a switch that support static LA but even ancient switches support this, even the ones not supporting LACP.

    Well to answer both spynappels' and darkod's replies:

    Yes the reason is actually bandwith. So bonding seems to be the way to go.
    But can you bridge TAP interfaces to a bonding interface?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Newry, Northern Ireland
    Beans
    1,258

    Re: Problem with multiple NIC's on server

    Quote Originally Posted by knutz View Post
    Well to answer both spynappels' and darkod's replies:

    Yes the reason is actually bandwith. So bonding seems to be the way to go.
    But can you bridge TAP interfaces to a bonding interface?
    You should be able to, the bonded interface will be something like bond0 and can be used in exactly the same way as eth0 or eth1 would be.

    Another advantage is that it only uses 1 IP instead of 2, less wasteful...
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vanløse, Denmark
    Beans
    39
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Problem with multiple NIC's on server

    Quote Originally Posted by spynappels View Post
    You should be able to, the bonded interface will be something like bond0 and can be used in exactly the same way as eth0 or eth1 would be.

    Another advantage is that it only uses 1 IP instead of 2, less wasteful...
    Okay, thank you very much all!
    I'll try this first thing monday morning.
    Have a great weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •