Thread: Ubuntu server 12.04 BIND 9 configuration help please.

Beans

Ubuntu server 12.04 BIND 9 configuration help please.

I'm currently trying to configure my server with DNS server software BIND9. I'm uncertain how to configure this properly. This server is going to be a web server that will host the website and tools that my friend and I have built. I have business class internet for this server, with a static IP address, subnet, and 2 DNS configurations. Does anyone know how to configure BIND9 so that our website will be able to be accessed through the browser?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu server 12.04 BIND 9 configuration help please.

Perhaps one of the Admins could move this to servers.

Quote Originally Posted by AkerokSauren View Post
    I'm currently trying to configure my server with DNS server software BIND9. I'm uncertain how to configure this properly. This server is going to be a web server that will host the website and tools that my friend and I have built. I have business class internet for this server, with a static IP address, subnet, and 2 DNS configurations. Does anyone know how to configure BIND9 so that our website will be able to be accessed through the browser?
    This should get you started in terminal also note there are other text editors I use vi aka vim or there is nano for use on command line.
    sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces
    THEN Set per your IP Info
    # The primary network interface

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.3.90
    gateway 192.168.3.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.3.0
    broadcast 192.168.3.255
    Then
    sudo vi /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 192.168.3.2 #your DNS
    nameserver 192.168.3.3 #your DNS
    Then
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    And a tutorial for BIND can be found here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIND9ServerHowto
    Last edited by chadk5utc; January 4th, 2013 at 07:49 AM.
    To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
    Author: Robert Orben

Beans

chadk5utc advises editing /etc/resolv.conf but as of Ubuntu 12.04 this is not correct because that file is dynamically generated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AkerokSauren View Post
    Does anyone know how to configure BIND9 so that our website will be able to be accessed through the browser?
    If you are running a website on a machine and you want others to be able to access that website by domain name then you will have to register the machine's domain name in DNS.

If you want to make it available to users on the Internet then you will have to register the machine's domain name with an Internet DNS provider.

If you only want to make it available to users on a LAN then you will have to configure a nameserver somewhere (e.g., bind9) to resolve the machine's name to the machine's address and also configure the users' machines on the LAN to use that nameserver for DNS resolving.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxsyst View Post
    Your tutorial was very informative. I'm still having an issue, though. I don't have the domain name at this time (trying to purchase it). I also can't ping my server from another computer through the Internet (I can ping my external IP, though). What could be the issue? Also, the DNS server and the web server are the same computer.
    Last edited by AkerokSauren; January 8th, 2013 at 12:02 AM.