Thread: Firewall question (Gufw)

Beans

Question [SOLVED] Firewall question (Gufw)

Hi all,

I was wondering if my firewall is behaving the way it should. I am using Gufw to control the settings of my firewall. Basically my question is this; is there a way to determine if the firewall is always "on,", meaning that it is denying incoming traffic? This is the settings I have set it to, for now.

Why I'm asking is because the guwf is as shown in the first screenshot attached whenever I open the program and only upon typing the admin password will it change to be like in the second screenshot, where the bar has gone from "off" to "on." Does this mean that the firewall will be configured to be "on" only when the admin password is typed each time one logs in, or is it always on, as it ought to be anyway?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can clear this up!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sayofethos; January 4th, 2013 at 03:44 AM.

Beans

Re: Firewall question (Gufw)

Quote Originally Posted by sayofethos View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering if my firewall is behaving the way it should. I am using Gufw to control the settings of my firewall. Basically my question is this; is there a way to determine if the firewall is always "on,", meaning that it is denying incoming traffic? This is the settings I have set it to, for now.

Why I'm asking is because the guwf is as shown in the first screenshot attached whenever I open the program and only upon typing the admin password will it change to be like in the second screenshot, where the bar has gone from "off" to "on." Does this mean that the firewall will be configured to be "on" only when the admin password is typed each time one logs in, or is it always on, as it ought to be anyway?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can clear this up!
    Code:
    sudo ufw status
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

gufw is just a graphical frontend for ufw(which is a frontend for iptables).

In a terminal:

Code:
    sudo ufw status
    will give you the state of your firewall and what rules you've allowed and such.

You can man ufw, or ufw --help for more info.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

The above 2 posts give you a terminal method to test at any time.

If, after entering your password to unlock,the interface shows as ON, then the firewall was on all the time. The interface itself (gufw) needs elevated privileges to even read the firewall state, hence the greyed out settings on initially starting.

The behaviour you're seeing is normal for gufw.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here is a really good read if you want to play a little and tight your firewall a little more.
    PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

Alright, seems like the ufw is working just as it should. Doubts cleared, thanks for your help!